Anyone with a valid Brock Card, Alumni Card, Special Borrowers’ Card, or valid ID Card from a Canadian university is welcome to borrow our materials.
There are two ways to borrow:
- Present your books and ID Card to staff at the Ask Us Desk.
- Use the Self-Checkout station located next to the Ask Us Desk. Staff will be happy to assist you.
|Type of Material||Loan Period|
|Books||Undergraduates: 4 weeks, subject to recall if needed by another user |
Faculty, staff, graduate students: 120 days, subject to recall if needed by another user
|Reserve items||3, 24, or 48 hours|
|Equipment||4, 24, or 72 hours|
|Board games||3 days|
|Map, Data & GIS Library materials||3 days or 1 week or in Library Use only|
|CDs, DVDs or VHS tapes||2 weeks|
|Archives & Special Collections||Library Use only|
|Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, McMaster University items||2 weeks|
|Instructional Resource Centre (IRC)||see IRC homepage|
|Patron Type||Loan Period||# of renewals||Maximum # of items checked out|
|Undergraduate students||4 weeks (subject to early recall)||4||100|
|Faculty, Staff, Graduate students||120 days (subject to early recall)||unlimited||100|
|Brock Retirees||120 days (subject to early recall)||unlimited||100|
|Alumni and Community Borrowers||2 weeks||4||20|
Avoid incurring fines by using My Library Account to view the list of items you have borrowed and their due dates.
Please note: Library fines are periodically transferred to Brock University Financial Services and applied to student accounts. Once fines have been transferred, they cannot be paid at the library.
|Overdue books, maps, CDs, DVDs, Interlibrary Loan materials||$ .50 per day per item|
|Overdue Reserves / equipment||$1.50 per hour per item|
|Overdue Recalled material||$2.00 per day per item|
|Overdue board games||no overdue fines, but will be billed for replacement after 21 days|
|Lost / damaged book/maps/CD/DVD||Cost of item plus a $15.00 non-refundable processing fee|
|Lost whiteboard cleaning kit||$6.00 replacement charge|
|Lost whiteboard cleaning cloth||$2.00 replacement charge|
|Lost whiteboard spray bottle||$2.00 replacement charge|
|Lost Locker Key||$25.00 replacement charge.|
|Lost / damaged miscellaneous cables||$25.00 per item|
|Lost / damaged video camera||$550.00|
|Lost ILL / RACER book / item||Flat rate replacement cost of $75.00, plus a $50.00 non-refundable processing fee|
|Lost / damaged board game||$20.00 (Lost playing cards - $2.00)|
|Lost equipment storage bag||$5.00|
|IRC||see IRC Homepage|
Borrowing privileges for Brock University students are suspended when fines are $10.00 or more. A block is placed on the student self-serve account which could impact registration for courses, transcript requests, and receipt of a diploma. Faculty and staff borrowing privileges are suspended for fines of $20.00 or more. Privileges will be reinstated for all users when overdue and recalled materials are returned and outstanding fines are paid. Use My Library Account to view currently checked out items and fines owing.
Pay your library fines:
- in person by cash, cheque, debit or credit card at the Ask Us Desk in the James A. Gibson Library or,
- by sending a cheque payable to Brock University to the address below. Please be sure to mark your student ID# clearly on the cheque.
James A. Gibson Library
1812 Sir Isaac Brock Way
St Catharines, ON L2S 3A1
Frequently Asked Questions
Your “Library Account” offers convenient access to the following online services 24 hours a day, using your campus username and password.
- Review the items and due dates for items you have checked out.
- Renew eligible checked out items.
- Review full details on outstanding library fines.
- Log into your library account prior to searching the online catalogue to place a hold for a title checked out by someone else without having to repeat your login verification for each requested item.
- Save your searches for future use and receive email notifications when additional new items are received pertaining to your search strategy.
- Sign up to retain a list of all items checked out by you, even after they have been returned.
- Online renewal is easy and convenient by logging into your Library Account.
- Click on the “items currently checked out” link.
- Select each item individually and click on the “renew selected” button.
- When you see the message “The following item(s) will be renewed, would you like to proceed?, click the “YES” button above or below the item title, due date line.
- If the renewal is successful, the system will show “renewed” and the new due date. If the due date does not change, then the renewal was not successful. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you run into any difficulties. Note that some items may not be renewable due to another user request, if you have outstanding fines over $10.00, or if you have reached the maximum number of renewals limit.
Please return all Library materials to the Ask Us Desk.
Library book return slots are unavailable during BrockLINC construction. To drop items off after hours, please use the Campus Security lost & found drop box in Harrison Hall.
Undergraduate and graduate students may borrow books in person from other Ontario university libraries (Direct Borrowing), with the exception of the University of Toronto. A valid Brock University Identification Card is required, and users may be required to show additional picture identification. Books may be returned to the lending library or to the Ask Us Desk at the James A. Gibson Library.
For graduate students, arrangements also exist for borrowing from out-of-province universities (Atlantic, Quebec, Prairie and Pacific). See Canadian Universities Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement for more information.