Brock alumni, retirees, and the community are welcome to use our resources and services.
Your Library Access
Access to Online Resources
- Most Library databases are available for walk-in use.
- A selection of databases is available to alumni to access from off campus. In order to access these resources, please activate your Brock alumni account. Please note that Alumni accounts expire after 12 months of activation.
- Present your alumni card at the Ask Us Desk and register for your alumni special borrower’s card free of charge.
- If you do not have an alumni card, email email@example.com with your student ID # and mailing address to request one.
- If you have forgotten your student number, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905 688 5550 x4640 to request this confidential information.
- Borrowing & renewal limits apply.
Having a current Brock Card allows you to borrow library materials.
Contact the Brock Card Office to determine whether you need a replacement card in order to sign out library materials.
More Information: View the library’s complete Borrowing policies.
Access to Electronic Resources
The Brock campus portal provides access to library online resources including databases, journals and articles. Contact Brock Information Technology Services if you any have questions or need further assistance.
Access to Interlibrary Loan service requires campus portal access to register and place requests. Additionally, users require a current Brock Card to sign out books retrieved from other libraries on your behalf.
Community members are welcome to consult our print and online collections free of charge, in-person. Additionally, a significant number of open access databases are freely available to access from off campus.
- To access our workstations, please present your photo id to staff at the Ask Us desk. A temporary user account will be generated for you.
- Annual memberships offer 2 week loans of up to 20 items from our open collection.
- The following collections are not available to community borrowers:
- Course Reserve materials
- IRC (St. Catharines & Burlington campus) materials
- Archives & Special Collections
- Map, Data & GIS Library materials
- McMaster Medical Collection materials
- CPI (Centre for Pedagogical Innovation) materials
|$300.00 per year (up to 5 borrowers)
|$100.00 per year (up to 5 borrowers)
|Replacement for Lost Card/Barcode
|Map, Data and GIS Library Temporary Account
|$10.00 per session
The James A. Gibson Library welcomes class and individual visits from high school students in the community.
Individual Student Visits
- The James A. Gibson and Map, Data & GIS Libraries are open to the public and visitors are free to use the print collections during all open hours.
- Students can visit the Ask Us Desk to register for a free 24 hour temporary user account to access online resources using our library workstations (photo ID is required).
- Our friendly staff are available to provide research help to all visitors.
To arrange a class visit please email email@example.com. A class visit typically involves:
- A hands-on instruction workshop provided by a Library staff member which is customized to your specific class assignment.
- The class teacher/school librarian scheduling the visit at least 2 weeks in advance and being present throughout the visit.
- A brief Library tour and introduction to the post-secondary library, specifically here at Brock University.
- Groups of up to 30 students.
Brock University and Niagara College have a reciprocal borrowing agreement for faculty, staff and students.
Under this agreement, Niagara College users may borrow books from the James A. Gibson Library and the St. Catharines & Burlington Instructional Resource Centres (IRC) at no charge. To register for borrowing privileges, please:
- visit the Ask Us Desk and complete an Extramural Borrowers’ form.
- show a valid Niagara College picture ID card, and one other supporting piece of identification.
- log into your college portal/email account to verify your current status.
- re-register annually.
- NC users may borrow up to 15 items from our open collection. Video, periodicals, reserve material, laptops, Map Library resources are excluded.
- Remote access to e-resources is not allowed, but walk-in access to most e-resources is available.
- The loan period is 2 weeks and you may renew your items once.
- Overdue fines of 50 cents per day per item apply. Overdue recalled items are $2.00 per day.
- Books must be returned to Brock
- Expiry dates
- Students — August 31
- Faculty & staff — One year from date of registration
More details are available on the Library’s full Borrowing Guidelines page
Alumni and visitors are welcome to use Library workstations with a temporary user account.
- Please present a piece of photo ID such as North American driver’s license, passport, Ontario Photo Card, or a current university or college ID card, to Ask Us Desk staff.
- You will receive a temporary username, password and guest account policies.
- Please safeguard your temporary credentials and abide by our Computer Use Guidelines.
Printing and Copying
Ask Us Desk staff will copy or print on your behalf. You will be charged at the rate of 11 cents per page (B&W) and 30 cents per page (colour). Payment is by debit or credit card.
Helpful tips for visitors
- Library hours
- We recommend you bring a USB flash drive to save your work.
- The Library Code of Conduct applies to all visitors.
- Visitor parking is available in several lots across campus. Parking is free May 1 to August 30. During the fall and winter terms, parking rates are $4 per hour to a maximum of $13 per day from 5 am to 6 pm. From September 1 to April 30, parking is free from 6 pm and on weekends in select lots.
- Payment for parking is by permit or the Honk mobile app.
- For those without a smartphone, parking can be purchased from the Honk website. Create an account and follow the steps below:
- Select your desired parking lot
- Select start time and duration
- Register your vehicle
- Click “pay” & enter your payment information (credit card only)
- Validate your parking before coming to campus.