Course readings (sometimes called library reserves):
- are items your instructor has placed “on reserve” for your course
- are often discussed in seminars and tutorials
- can be searched in Brightspace
- are usually available electronically directly from Brightspace, or
- might be available in print only from the Library Ask Us desk.
- course readings in print have some special rules. Get the details.
Log into your Brightspace course site and select ‘Content’ from the main menu.
Open the Course Readings tab.
Select the appropriate week/unit/lesson tag if your instructor has added that information.
Or, search for a specific reading by Title or Author:
If an item is available online, select ‘View Item’ to read it.
If an item is available in print, select ‘Show Details’ to see the call number of the item.
Take the call number to the staff at the Ask Us Desk who will sign it out for you.
- Print course readings are available for short-term loan (3-hours, 24-hours, 48-hours, and 1 week) as requested by your instructor.
- 4 items may be signed out at any one time to eligible users (currently enrolled students, instructors, and staff.)
- 3-hour course readings cannot be renewed. Course readings are one of the few collections for which there are overdue fines. Overdue course readings are charged at a rate of $1.50 per hour per item.
- Students interested in re-borrowing the 3-hour item may do so after a 15-minute waiting period. This allows other students waiting for the item’s return, a chance to borrow it.
- Items with a 3-hour loan period which are signed out within 3 hours of closing time each day will be due back 1 hour after the library opens the next day.
- 24-hour, 48-hour and 1-week course readings can be requested online. When notified by email, borrowers have 24 hours to pickup their requested item. These items can also be renewed up to 4 times online if they have not been requested by other borrowers.