Brock University Library
Users are welcome to take photographs or short videos for their personal use or for class assignments using hand-held cameras, without formal authorization, provided that staff and users are not photographed or inconvenienced. No user or staff member may be filmed or photographed without their explicit consent.
Filming or photography will require prior consent if it:
- Is made for commercial purposes,
- Is journalism, documentary, or news media,
- Involves extensive use of equipment (tripods, lighting, etc.),
- Or requires use of library equipment or significant movement of furniture.
Requests should be submitted to Andrew Colgoni, Associate University Librarian, as far in advance as possible (please include date(s)/time(s), location(s), and sufficient detail about the nature of the request). Access may be restricted during examination periods. A staff member must be present if filming is scheduled when the building is closed.
Photographers within the building must:
- not interfere with the study, research, privacy, or safety of users
- not film in silent study areas
- not violate any other policies, rules, or regulations
- not hinder access to exits, stairways, corridors, etc.
- create minimal disturbance to occupants
- not ask any user to move
- minimize any re-arrangement of furniture or materials and return all to their original locations
- remember that staff members are not to be photographed when working.
We reserve the right to terminate any still photography or filming that causes disturbance, violates policies or regulations, or endangers the health and safety of participants, users, and staff.
September 2010, revised November 2019