The Course Readings Management System Ares allows instructors to make course materials available to enrolled students. The tool creates a single list of all the course materials (articles, e-books, web resources, etc.) requested for a class through the Course Readings Service and allows students to access many of their readings directly online through Brightspace.
Library staff will ensure that course readings are made available to students while respecting Canadian copyright law and existing Brock University licensing agreements and policies:
- We encourage the use of Brock’s licensed and open access e-resources collections
- Library staff will identify materials that fall outside our Fair Dealing Policy and explore available options.
No additional step is required. Course readings will automatically appear in Brightspace under ‘Course Readings’.
Use the ‘Add to Reserve’ option in Omni or, add your resources directly to Ares.
1. Look for the item you need using Omni and sign in to get complete results and to request items:
2. Click on the title and click on the Add to Reserves link:
Note: if the Add to Reserves option does not appear in the record, add it via our Begin with Ares step-by-step guide.
3. When prompted, log-in to Course Readings & Reserves. The pre-filled form for the article you chose will display:
4. For the question “How will this item be supplied?”, select “The item should link to a website. Return to Omni, open the article using links provided, copy the persistent link to the article and paste it to the pre-filled form:
5. Click Submit Item:
Please note that all materials linked to or uploaded in Ares will be activated once we check their compliance with copyright guidelines and Brock University licensing agreements and policies. Learn more in the Copyright FAQ.
1. Log-in to Ares. Navigate to the Instructor Tools menu and click on Current and Upcoming Courses:
2.Select the course and click on Add Reserve Items:
3. Select the resource type you will be adding.
Note: You can import items from current and previous courses from the list displayed below. Click on Import Items to select from a list of reserve items for that course.
4. Add the citation information to the form and answer “How will this item be supplied?”
Optionally, you can limit access to an Item by choosing a date range in the Reserve Restrictions grid:
5. Click Submit Item. Once we receive your submitted item and activate it in ARES, students will be able to access the item from the Course Readings folder in your course site on the Learning Management System.
Please note that all materials linked to or uploaded in Ares will be activated once we check their compliance with copyright guidelines and Brock University licensing agreements and policies. Learn more in our Copyright FAQ.