This award recognizes members of the Brock community who are champions of open access, demonstrating strong commitment to expanding the reach of Brock research by freely sharing their scholarship with audiences around the globe. Focused on the concept of knowledge as a public good, open access benefits both individual researchers and their institutions by promoting higher citation counts, increased community impact and enhanced opportunities for collaboration and innovation.
A grant of $2,500, which may be used:
- to pay article-processing charges for an open access journal OR
- as a donation to a non-profit open scholarship platform
The winner will be announced during International Open Access Week, Oct. 22-26, 2018.
Anyone affiliated with Brock University as an employee or student may be nominated; self-nominations are welcome. Nominations must include a statement and supporting materials demonstrating the nominee’s engagement with open access.
Brock University faculty, librarians, staff and students
Nominations should address one or more of the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated record of publishing in open access journals (Eligible journals will be listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals )
- Demonstrated record of sharing research via “green” open access repositories or preprint servers
- Demonstrated record of sharing research via open lab notebooks, scholarly blogging platforms or other public knowledge-sharing outlets (content must be free to read without requiring a user account)
- Demonstrated record of conducting research into open access topics e.g. open publishing practices, open access citation advantage
- Serving on the editorial/advisory boards of open access publications or platforms
- Participating in projects or teams advancing and/or advocating for open access to scholarship
Nomination applications must be submitted by Oct. 1, 2018 at 12 pm.
A selection committee including Library employees and members of Brock’s Open Access Policy Working Group will review nominations and select a recipient.