The James A. Gibson Library and Map, Data & GIS Library protect patron privacy and personal information. Under the authority of the Brock University Act, 1964 and in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), personal information is collected as necessary for the administration of the University Library and its programs and services.
The Library website uses Google Analytics to capture and analyze web statistics, including search terms entered into SuperSearch. This information is provided in aggregate and cannot be connected to an individual user. Collected information is used to better understand how users interact with our website and to improve our web services.
Information collected through Google Analytics (including IP addresses) is stored by Google on servers located outside Canada. Google does not associate data collected through Google Analytics with other data held by Google or share this data with third parties. Further information about Google Analytics and Google’s privacy policies is provided at https://www.google.ca/analytics/terms/us.html.
You may opt out of allowing Google Analytics to collect web usage statistics by using the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Extension.
What Information is Collected?
- biographical information, including name, address, employee or student identification number, program / department affiliation, contact information and barcode number for all current and former students (alumni), faculty, staff, retirees, visiting scholars, community (extramural) borrowers, high school students involved in a Brock Mentorship Program, and may include individuals with reciprocal borrowing privileges
- titles for which patrons request holds or recalls
- items currently charged out
- a history of fines, fees, book replacement and processing charges
- relevant biographical information on forms such as the Security Alarm Report Form; Copying and Printing, Print/Scanning Request Form; and the Laptop Computer Agreement Form
Access to patron information is limited to officers of Brock University who require the information in order to perform the duties of their positions. Disclosure to third parties will only occur with the written consent of the patron or as required by law. All records, whether in electronic or hard copy, are maintained in a secure environment.