The James A. Gibson Library is proud to be part of Brock’s university-wide commitment to provide facilities, programs and services in a way that respects the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities.
The Accessibility at Brock website provides information on policies and practices under way at Brock.
If you would like to provide feedback about accessibility, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submitting a request for an alternate format? Use this form.
Services and Facilities
Please inquire at the Ask Us Desk or email email@example.com for help with the following:
- Assistance with book renewals and extended loan periods.
- Library tours or one-on-one assistance.
Library staff will retrieve books and other materials when assistance is required. Depending on timing and staff availability, retrieval may be immediate, or take up to 24 hours. For best results, use the “Request” button in the entry for the title in the catalogue. More information is available on the Request a Book page.
Alternate Format Material
- Services for Students with Disabilities manages requests for alternative formats of course packages and textbooks. Please see Student Accessibility Services for more information.
- To access alternative formats of library materials, you must be registered with Student Accessibility Services. You will then be able to search the Accessible Content E-Portal (ACE), an online repository of books in accessible formats. More information about ACE. How does ACE work? Watch: Accessible Content ePortal Behind the Scenes.
- For other library materials or for materials not found in ACE, please use the Alternative Format Request form or email firstname.lastname@example.org to submit a request and we will work to find or create an accessible copy.
Other Sources of Alternate Format Material
- Many of our books and journal articles are available in electronic format. Use SuperSearch to find electronic formats. Limit your search to eBooks and/or Electronic Resources.
- Your public library can help you find accessible formats through the Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA).
- Membership with CELA gives you access to Bookshare, an accessible online library of over 185,000 titles!
Photocopying, Scanning and Printing
- Assistance is available in operating any library equipment. Please inquire at the Ask Us Desk on the Main Floor.
- Users with visual disabilities can arrange to have reserve materials or other articles photocopied or scanned in enlarged format for the self-serve price per copy.
Accessible Teaching and Learning
For information on accessible teaching and learning, please see the Centre for Pedagogical Innovation’s Accessible Teaching and Learning page.
- All entrances are equipped with automatic door operators.
- A variety of table heights and study space is available throughout the Library/Learning Commons.
- Desk height accessible counters are provided at the Ask Us and Learning Commons Reception desks.
- A magnifier is available for 4-hour loan at the Ask Us Desk.
- Headphones are available for 4-hour loan at the Ask Us Desk.
- A self-serve scanner is available on the main floor near the Ask Us Desk. Scanning can also be done using any library photocopier.
- The library elevator services all library floors and is accessible.
One-Person Study Room
An individual study room on the 10th floor is reserved for use by students registered with Student Accessibility Services.
- Key is available for check-out at the Ask Us Desk.
- May be signed out for up to 4 hours at a time.
- This study room is not currently accessible to persons using mobility devices.
In the Library, an accessible individual washroom equipped with a door operator is available on Floor 5, near the elevators. Outside of the Library, two accessible individual washrooms with power-operated doors are available next to the elevators in the Schmon Tower Lobby.
Support Persons & Service Animals
Service animals are permitted. Support persons are permitted to attend any event, workshop or service provided by the Library. Most of our services are free of charge, however, where charges do apply, service persons will be admitted free of charge.
Getting to the Library
The Library is located in the Schmon Tower (see map). The main entrance is on the main level of the Tower.
Arriving by taxi or public transit to the main entrance at Schmon Tower
- Enter the Schmon Tower.
- From the Schmon Tower lobby, proceed left to enter the Library/Learning Commons.
- An additional entrance (the South Entrance) is accessible from the Thistle Corridor.
Arriving by car
- Enter the Brock campus from Glenridge Avenue.
- Accessible pay and display parking is provided in D LOT.
- Accessible permit parking is provided in A LOT. For more information about parking, please contact Parking Services.
- Follow the pedestrian walking path marked on this map to the Schmon Tower.