Study permits and visas

This section provides general information only. Please refer to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for the most current information.

In Canada, a study permit is necessary for any non-resident person studying for a period longer than six months. Even if you plan on studying in Canada for less than six months, you may want to apply for a study permit in case you decide to extend your studies at a later date or would like to look for an on-campus job. This is especially useful for short-term exchange students.

See a sample study permit

Information about obtaining your Study Permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)

Renewing your Study Permit

If you are applying to renew your study permit, CIC will ask you for a letter of acceptance from Brock University to confirm your current registration and the date when you will complete your studies.

Undergraduate students

Download the request form for undergraduate students

Please select Visa Extension on the request form or go to the Registrar’s Office, ST301.

Graduate students

Download the request form for graduate students

Please select Verification of Status Form, then check the Confirmation of Enrolment on the form, or go to the Faculty of Graduate Studies office, MC D250.

ESL/IELP students

ESL/IELP students should request an attendance confirmation from the ESL Services office at IC 217.

Designated Learning Institutions

You will need to input the designated learning institution number in the application. Brock’s number is O19394569014.

Notify Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) when you change institutions.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is the shiny foil sticker in your passport. It can be either a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa.

  • The expiry date on the TRV indicates the deadline for you to enter Canada. It is not the last day that you are allowed to stay in Canada. Learn more about the TRV expiry date.
  • The TRV does not need to be renewed when it expires unless you are planning to leave and then re-enter Canada.
  • If you hold a valid study permit (or work permit), you do not need a TRV to come back to Canada following a visit only to the United States or St-Pierre and Miquelon; and provided you return before the expiry date of your study permit or work permit.
  • If you do not have a TRV in your passport, you may be from a country that is exempt from applying for a TRV. Check to see if you need a TRV.

If you are in Canada and holding a valid Study Permit or Work Permit, follow instructions below to submit application.

NOTE: You must download the most current form. Complete the application form on your computer and validate and print it with the bar code page. You will need to validate the form every time you make any changes. Outdated forms will be rejected.

Work opportunities for International students, no work permit required

On-Campus employment

A full-time student with a valid study permit can work on campus without a work permit. There is no hour limit for working on campus. You need to maintain full-time study.

Off-Campus employment

Work Opportunities for International Students – Work Permit Required

Co-op or Internship Program

The co-op/internship work permit is fee-exempt. You cannot start your work term until you have the appropriate work permit. Your application must include a letter (issued by the Co-op Office) that clearly indicates the work is a mandatory component of your academic program. The co-op work permit is valid only for work with the company where you have been assigned to do your work term. It is not valid for any other off-campus work. NOTE: There is no restriction on holding more than one work permit. Co-op/internship work permit applications can be completed online.

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

If you have recently completed your degree requirements, you may apply for a post-graduation work permit. Learn more about the PGWP.

Spouses of Students

If you have a valid study permit, your spouse does not require HRSDC confirmation when applying for an open work permit. Apply for an open work permit with CIC.

If your family or friends wish to visit you in Canada for your Convocation or just for a vacation, they may need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) at their closest Canadian Consulate.

View a list of countries whose citizens require a TRV

Learn how to apply for a TRV

On the Canadian Consulate’s visiting visa instruction page, you will find a list of documents required from you (the inviter) and the visitor (the applicant).

In order to assist your family/friends with their TRV application, you should send them the following supporting documents:

  1. Invitation letter written by you:
    Note: University does not provide an invitation letter.
    Learn how to write an invitation letter
  2. Photocopy of your study or work permit
  3. Proof of your current registration (Proof of enrollment or eligibility/confirmation of graduation)
    Undergraduate Students request this letter from the Registrar’s Office and Graduate Students from the Faculty of Graduate Studies
  4. Photocopy of your passport

All of the above are typically required by Canadian Consulates overseas from inviters. More detailed instructions may be available from local visa offices. It’s important that you check the local Canadian Consulate website and follow the full instructions.

International students may apply for a U.S. visa via the U.S. Consulate in Toronto. To apply for a U.S. visa you must book an appointment online.

The United States Embassy Consular Services Canada’s website provides current information about applying for a U.S. visa.

Learn more about the process of applying for a U.S. visa

Other related information:

It is always recommended to download the most up-to-date forms directly from the CIC website any time you are about to apply for anything. Never save forms for future use.

Visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. Read about the eTA.