Tax information for International students

Below is tax information for International students in Canada from the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA).

Do you have a SIN or not?

If you have a Social Insurance Number (SIN), use it to file your tax return. Not sure if you need to file for a tax return or not? Click the resources below to learn more!

If you do not have a SIN, contact Service Canada to see if you are eligible for one. For more information on how to apply for a SIN or to find a Service Canada centre near you, visit Service Canada, or call 1-800-206-7218.

If you are not eligible to get a SIN, complete Form T1261, Application for a Canada Revenue Agency Individual Tax Number (ITN) for Non-Residents, and send it along with your tax return forms. For more information, call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281.


Filing Taxes in Canada as an International Student

If you are an international student studying in Canada, you may have to file a Canadian income tax return. You must determine your residency status to know how you will be taxed in Canada to then see if you need to file. Please see the resources below to guide you!

Tax returns can definitely be confusing for those who have never done them before! We highly suggest you check out the resource below from Niagara Folk Arts to start.

Additional Resources to Assist in Filing Taxes

Yes! There are lots of free resources to help international students understand tax returns in Canada. Please see the resources below for additional guidance!

Yes! Typically, you can find free tax clinics every year through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program, and even sometimes, at Brock University!

  • NOTE: Tax clinics are usually offered closer to tax season (approx. February to April)

In addition, please click below to download a list of free clinics in 2023:

The T2202A tuition and education deduction tax certificate is available online via the Brock student portal typically by the end of February each year.

  • To access it, please log in to select the Student Self-Serve tab and then go to Tax Certificates to view or download the form as a PDF.

NOTE: The T2202A certificate is not mailed to students. Visit the Brock Finance website for updates.