Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

We understand that it can be overwhelming to study in another country, and so please check out our answers below to the most common questions about studying in Canada and at Brock!


Visit our Immigration Advising page here.

You will find the requirements for a study permit on the following official IRCC websites:

If you are eligible for SDS stream, to apply under the SDS stream, students need to show proof that they have paid their first-year tuition fees. As long as the amount you have paid matches the figure suggested in your offer letter for estimated one-year tuition fees, it should work for your application.

Once you have successfully made the payment, you can use:

  1. The transaction receipt you get from the bank for transferring the tuition fees to Brock; PLUS
  2. A screenshot of your student financial history ( to show this amount has been received by Brock.

First and foremost, you should monitor your study permit application status and use the IRCC webform to inquiry about your status.  

If you still don’t receive the approval by the time you have to start your term, we recommend that you defer your start date to the next available term.

  • Undergraduate Students
    • please contact before the semester starts to request a deferral.
  • Graduate Students

You should NOT wait to register for courses waiting can cause issues with course registration if you do end up getting your study permit late or right before the start of term. Click here to learn about course registration. 

If you do not get your study permit by the start of classes, you can simply drop all classes before the deadline to avoid the extra costs. Click here to view Brock’s Important Dates and search for the “Last Day for Registration”.

In line with the IRCC suggestions, it is highly recommended that you attend in-class options when offered. Distance learning may impact your Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) and eligibility for some Permanent Residence programs.

If you cannot arrive in Canada by the start of term, we recommend you defer your start date to the next available term. Options for online study may be limited, depending on your program of study. Please consult your academic advisor(UGs) or program coordinator (grad) for any questions regarding course selection and delivery mode.

We are sorry to hear that your study permit application was refusal. Our licensed immigration advisors can provide advice on next steps. To receive advice, please email with your refusal letter, and all the documents from your original application. Please also indicate whether you used a legal representative for the application. 

Your study permit and visa/eTA are two different documents with very different purposes. It is extremely important to maintain a valid study permit while you are in Canada! Your visa/eTA is a travel document and allows you entry into Canada. For either application, our website has information about how you can request documents from Brock to support your application.

Study Permit Extension
Application Guide Here

Visa Renewal

  • After you receive the physical copy of your new study permit, you can apply for a new visa.
  • This application is similar to a study permit extension, including the documents required.

eTA Renewal


There are a lot of things to consider before traveling so that you don’t encounter any issues. Generally, you will need to do the following:

  1. Gather all required documents
  2. Prepare for your travels (at least 3 days before departure)

For more details on the suggested steps to take, we highly encourage you to review ALL the information provided on our International Student Travel Requirements page, including the Resources Upon Arrival section.

Confirmation of Enrollment letters may only be requested for academic sessions where registration exists. You can request your Confirmation of Enrollment letter directly on your portal. Please click here for more details and instructions!

For Graduate Students: You can also find other student forms here.

There is currently no transportation provided by Brock. However, there are some other, great services in the area that can support you!

You may be able to re-enter Canada as an international student if you meet all the following: 

Read more here about international students travelling outside Canada.  

It is also recommended that you bring following documents: 

Go to your Brock student portal and download: 

  • Your school transcript/course schedule showing you have been actively pursuing study in the past semesters
  • Confirmation of Enrollment/Courses schedule showing you are registered full time
  • You could also use your letter of employment if you’ll be in Co-op program
  • Tuition fee payment confirmation 
  • Bank statement 

Health Insurance in Canada

UHIP & StudentVIP (undergrads & grads)

There are two health plans for Brock students in Undergraduate or Graduate programs:

  • UHIP: Covers eligible medically necessary health services and medical treatments. Essentially, when you see a doctor, go to a hospital, or do a medical test, you use UHIP.
  • BUSU/GSA Health & Dental (Student VIP plans): Has drug coverage, extended health coverage, vision coverage, dental coverage, etc. Essentially, when you buy medicine, see a dentist, take eye exams, or have to buy glasses, you use your StudentVIP.

Check out our University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) Page for more details!

Once registered for courses, newly admitted students are automatically enrolled for UHIP coverage. To ensure coverage is available for new students arriving to Canada, students are provided an additional 20 days of coverage at no extra cost before the start of the coverage period. 

  • If you cannot find your UHIP card or do not have it when you seek medical help, keep the receipt and you should be able to submit a claim to get reimbursed for any fees that are covered in your UHIP plan. 

Students are generally enrolled automatically at the beginning of the term, based on registration information.

To find your UHIP card, please check your Brock student email (including the junk inbox) to find a message from Cowan with the subject “Welcome to the University Health Insurance Plan”. If you have not seen that email by the beginning of the term, please check your “Junk Mail” folder.

  • You will not receive a physical card, but if you want a physical one, we suggest you print it out and have it laminated to avoid water damage!

To learn what is covered by UHIP, you can visit to learn more or contact the insurer directly (information is on your UHIP card).

It is recommended to visit a Preferred Provider who will bill the insurer directly for payment and you can avoid out-of-pocket expenses. Preferred Providers – Clinics/ Hospitals/ Labs/ Student Health Services in St. Catharines.

  • It is preferable to have a printed copy of a UHIP card with you, clinics and hospitals may not accept an electronic copy on your phone.
  • If you can’t show your printed UHIP card or the clinic is not a prefered provider, you can still go there. But you may be billed that day, or later, for the services provided and will have to file your claim for reimbursements.

Presenting your UHIP card is not a mandatory requirement when you arrive at the border. If you don’t receive your card prior to your departure, you can show the Brock UHIP website in case the Canadian Border Services Officer asks.

To best prepare for your upcoming travel, please refer to our Travel Requirements website to learn more.

UHIP can over dependents, but only if they are eligible. To be eligible, a dependent must be:

  • A legal, common-law spouse who is living with the eligible student. Your common-law relationship must have existed for at least 12 months.
  • A dependent child as defined by UHIP.

If members of your family are considered dependents, please see our website for more details on how to enroll them.

You may be able to terminate your UHIP early and get a refund  if one of the following applies to you & you request for a refund by contacting before March 1st:

  • You withdraw from your program
  • You complete your program early
  • You leave Canada for an uncertain period
  • You become eligible for OHIP coverage
  • You get a UHIP exemption

You cannot get a refund for:

  • Scheduled breaks between terms, if this is the only period you’re applying for a refund.
  • After March 1 of each academic year (except if you have OHIP or you are approved for an exemption).

Physical & Mental Health

If it is a life-threatening emergency call 9-1-1. If not life threatening, and between 9:00am-4:00pm, call 905-688-5550 x3243 for an urgent same day medical appointment.

If it is after 4:00pm and before 9:00am and it is not urgent, leave Brock Health Services a message on the same extension. You can also go to the nearest walk in clinic open or call Telehealth 1 866-797-0000 (Ontario only).

Counselling is a conversation with a purpose. Counsellors strive to understand your difficulties so that they can assist you help yourself by:

  • putting things into perspective;
  • getting you to try new things out in order to improve your situation;
  • getting commitment from you to work at implementing new coping strategies; or
  • challenging yourself in order to grow and learn new ways of improving your life.

Want to know what to expect? Click here

As part of the Ancillary fees you pay automatically, there is no additional cost nor any restrictions to the number of appointments you may have with a counselor. Therefore, if you would like help with any of the above, or you simply want someone to talk to, Brock’s Personal Counselling Services is here for you!

Vaccinations & COVID

With COVID-19 cases trending downwards across the province and 93 per cent of Ontarians aged 12 years and older fully vaccinated, Brock University paused its COVID-19 vaccination requirement on July 4. All members of the Brock community are still strongly encouraged to become vaccinated against COVID-19 and to keep up to date on boosters.

Click here to view all COVID-19 FAQs.

International students can receive COVID vaccines for free in Canada. Please answer the questions on this page to determine how to book your vaccine appointment. In addition, click here to find out how to get your vaccine proof without an OHIP card.  

Technology At Brock

Visit Brock’s Information Technology Services page here.

Your campus ID/Brock ID is different from your student ID.

  • Your Campus/Brock ID is the 2 letters, 2 numbers, and 2 letters (e.g., kl17td)
  • Your student ID is the 7-digit ID (ex. 7035678)

Your campus ID is the one that is usually used for anything you need to login to with Brock credentials (Sakai, email, ExperienceBU, etc.).

Most likely, this is an issue with two-factor authentication, and so the best people to reach out to for help would be our ITS department. We suggest you first view this guide to see if you can change your settings on your own. 

If that doesn’t work, then you should contact ITS or to submit a Help Desk Ticket (under something broken), describing your situation and that you need MFA reset for you. Just be sure to include an alternate email (e.g., personal email) so that ITS will have a way to contact you.

To access to your account,

  1. Log on to the student self-serve portal.
  2. Go to “Student Self-Serve” (list on the left-hand side)
  3. Select “Student Financial History”

First, you need to make sure you registered for classesThough many students might have had their schedules made for them at other institutions, at Brock it is up to you to choose your own classes and register. Once you have done that,

  1. Log on to the student self-serve portal.
  2. Go to “Student Self-Serve”
  3. Select “Student Schedule”

Note: if you have any online, asynchronous classes, they will not show up in this particular schedule as there isn’t a schedule time. However, they will be listed at the bottom of the schedule just to show you what you are taking in the selected time frame.

Course Registration & Withdrawals

Undergraduate students: 3.0 or more credits over the Fall/Winter semester to be considered full-time, with at least 1.5 credits in the Fall term and at least 1.5 credits in the Winter term.*

*If you start your program in Winter semester, you will need to be registered in at least 1.5 credits for the first Winter term to be full-time; if you start your program in Spring semester, you will need to be registered in at least 1.5 credits for the Spring term and 1 credit for the Summer term to be full-time.

Please see Undergraduate Calendar for the definition of Full and Part-Time Studies.

Graduate students: full-time/part-time status is not defined by credits, instead, graduate students’ status is defined according to the academic regulations.

There are a few steps to registering for courses! For detailed instructions, check out Brock’s websites for undergraduate students and graduate students. You can also check out the Registrar’s Course Registration FAQ page!

Once you have all your courses chosen and you are ready to register:

  1. Log onto and click “Register” on the self-serve menu.
  2. Simply type in the course code you are looking to enroll in and select the option that works best for your schedule.
  3. Selecting “Add” will automatically enroll you in the course. 

Undergraduate Students
You can book an appointment with your advisor or you find your Academic Advisor’s direct contact information here.

Information on how to book an appointment with an Advisor can be found here.

Graduate Students
You can contact your program coordinator by finding them here.

Yes, you can make changes (add or drop courses) up until the final day that the registration system is open; this is generally in the second or third week of each term, but the times can vary!

Therefore, please check Brock’s Important Dates website to ensure you know when the last day to register for classes is for the specific term you want. If it has past the last day to register, then you will need to withdraw from the course (see below).

NOTE: be aware that if you drop or withdraw from some courses, that may change your status to part-time, which could have an impact on your eligibility for certain immigration documents (e.g., work permits, PGWPs)

After the registration system is closed for a class’s specific duration (D1, D2, D3, etc.), students can withdraw from a course (with financial penalty) up to a certain date in the semester (to avoid academic penalty).

To withdraw, you can go directly on your registration system and choose the specific course you would like to withdraw from. It is important that you remember that you are only able to do this up to the final withdrawal date listed here.

Note: ALL withdrawals have financial penalties, but it is possible to avoid academic penalty if you submit your withdrawal request before the final withdrawal date.

Classes at Brock

There are different class acronyms that you will see next to the description of your courses. These will tell you if your course will take place in-person or online:

  • LEC – Lecture. This means that your course will be in lecture-style, hosted completely in-person.
  • BLD – Blended. This means that your course will include both in-person AND online components.
  • HYF – Hyflex. This means that your course could be in-person OR online. On-campus and online students will be integrated through online interactions and engagement with synchronous learning opportunities. On-campus registration will be limited and online student will not be required to attend campus for any component of the course, including assessment.
  • ASY – Asynchronous. This means that your course will be fully online, with no scheduled meeting times. There will be a start and end date, as well as scheduled assignments and exams, but no real-time components.
  • SYN – Synchronous. This means that your course will be fully online, BUT will have scheduled meeting times via web or video conferencing. You are still expected to “attend” the class, but attendance will be online.
  • ONM – Blended – Online Mixed. This means that your course could have both asynchronous and synchronous components, but it is fully online.

Electives are simply courses that are not a part of the required courses for a student in a particular program. These courses are usually interest-based since the student has some choice as to what they would like to take. While there is not a specific “list” of electives, you can peruse courses that are of interest to you that are open to non-majors and are not part of your program requirements.

Context Credits are mandatory courses intended to provide you with a broad educational background. All students must complete at least one full credit from each of the following Faculties at Brock:

  • Humanities
  • Mathematics and Science
  • Social Sciences

Click here for a full list of context credits. Just be sure to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that you are eligible to take certain courses.

A lecture is the main class where you will go over topics and lessons with the Professor. This can be given in-person or virtually, depending on the type of course you are in.

Seminars/Labs/Tutorials are smaller groups of students (about 25) from the lecture that generally meet once a week.

  • SeminarsA small-group learning activity that allows for the discussion and application of course concepts.
  • Labs – Students observe, test and apply course concepts in a controlled setting, specialized for small-group learning (typically affiliated with a specific technology and/or facility).
  • Tutorials – A small-group learning activity that allows for application of course concepts.

Textbooks can be found at the Campus Store here. The books are found by searching for each of your classes by term. Just note that some texbooks may be ebooks (digital), some may be physical ones, and there may even not be textbooks listed.

If you have any questions about the textbook requirements for your courses, it is best to contact the instructor of your course directly.

Academic Success

As a Brock student, you have access to various academic supports across campus! Please check out the different services below and make use of all that available to you:

Brock International Academic Supports

Learning Services

Learning Services* offers skills workshops and resources, drop-in academic support, and tutoring—for students by students—with additional opportunities for students who may have faced challenges getting to university. 

  • Academic & Life Skills Workshops
  • Resources and/or Tip Sheets
  • Drop-In Sessions (e.g., support in math, science, research, studying, etc.)
  • Tutoring ($)
  • Additional Academic Integrity Resources

The FITA Program

From Intention to Action (FITA)* is a counselling program run by Student Wellness and Accessibility Centre. FITA is a structured intervention that is geared towards assisting students to improve their mental health, cope with academic stress, develop better learning strategies, and maintain a healthy life balance.

Grad Studies Academic Writing Supports

The Faculty of Graduate Studies offers dedicated writing support* to assist graduate students at all levels of study. They offer:

  • One-on-one sessions
  • A Drop-In Writing Café
  • Graduate Writing Workshops

Yes! Brock’s Learning Services offers tutoring both ONLINE and IN-PERSON at a cost of $25/hour for Brock students. Please see here for more details! 

Everyday Life in Canada

We are happy to refer you to the online resources below, which are very helpful and can also be found on our Pathway to Success Brightspace site:

Please check out our tip sheet here on cell phone plans and SIM cards!

Instructions to file taxes can be found on this government website here. In addition, check out our Tax Information for International Students Website here for additional resources! 

Tax clinics are hosted at Brock during typical tax season (Feb-Apr) and some volunteers help students file taxes. Please search Brock Tax Clinics on ExperienceBU to see if there are any upcoming clinics!

ID Cards & Transportation

ID Cards

Information on how to obtain your Brock card can be found here. Follow the steps outlined and keep a lookout for conformation/update emails sent to your Brock email address.

Once your card is approved, you can pick it up from the Brock card office located in Thistle corridor, Room TH221A, open from Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.

Also, since your ID card acts as your bus pass, you can visit the official BUSU website here for information on how to get your U-Pass sticker.

This depends on if you have a driver’s licence or not.

No Driver’s License
If you don’t have a driver’s license, y
ou can apply for an Ontario Photo Card; an Ontario Photo Card is a wallet sized card that provides government-issued identification to those Ontarians who do not have a driver’s licence, making it easier to do things such as open a bank account and any other activities that require official identification. 
You can apply for an Ontario Photo Card in-person at a Service Ontario location near you. Check here to find a location near you.

Yes, Driver’s License (International)
If you do have a driver’s license from another country, unfortunately you cannot get an Ontario Photo Card. In addition, many places do not accept international driver’s licenses as forms of ID, and so, 
unless you intend to stay in Canada permanently, you cannot get a driver’s license here and hold you current one at the same time.

According to Ontario’s policy, after 60 days, you need to switch to an Ontario driver’s license in order to drive legally and have that as a form of ID. We do not recommend doing this until you are sure that you intend to stay in Canada and drive here, as Service Ontario will take your international one in exchange for the Ontario one, unless you fall under the categories listed here

An International Student Identification Card (ISIC) is for international and domestic students, and it is a card that can get you access to discounts in Canada!

It is NOT an official form of ID (please see our tab above for legal identification information), but it is free to graduate students and can be used to get deals in shopping, travel, museums, and much more. Click here to get your card or apply for a free one if you are a graduate student at Brock!


Your Brock Student ID Card acts as your bus pass! Once you have your ID card, you can visit the official BUSU website here for information on how to get your U-Pass sticker.

Just remember that with your U-Pass, you can not only use St. Catharines’ public transit, but you also have access to Niagara Regional Transit! Should you have any additional questions about your bus pass, please reach out to BUSU at

Technically, without the ID card and bus sticker, you cannot ride for free because there is no official proof that you are a current student and that you have paid the bus pass fee. However, St. Catharines Transit bus drivers tend to be sympathetic with students, especially at the beginning of term.

If it is the beginning of term, we suggest you print out your student schedule for term and have a printed copy of your offer letter that specifies when you will start at Brock. Then, when you go to ride the bus, you can explain that you are a new Brock student who hasn’t yet received their ID card. Be sure to ask nicely if you can ride for free; the worst is that they say no and you must pay $3. Just to be safe, we do recommend you have some cash on you to pay and remember: they do not give change back and so it is best to have $3 exactly.

If you plan to be in Ontario for less than 3 months, then you can drive with your international license! Please read the following information to learn more.

If you plan to be in Ontario for more than 3 months, then you will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) from your home country. Please read this link to learn more about the process!

Finances & Fees

Questions can be directed to

It depends! Brock University charges tuition on a per-term basis and depends on:

  • If you are an undergraduate or graduate student
  • First and continuing year of study
  • “Arts, science and other programs” and “professional undergraduate programs” (business and computer science)
  • Domestic and international (visa) students

To find out how much your tuition is, please check here for undergrad students or here for graduate students. 

Along with your tuition, Brock University may charge you for the following:

  • Ancillary Fees: These are assessed on a per credit and sessional basis. Most ancillary fees administered by Brock University are mandatory and governed by an Ancillary Fee Protocol established between the university and the Brock University Students’ Union (BUSU) for undergraduate students and the Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) for graduate students.
  • Program-specific fees: Typical program fees can include co-op administration, placement and/or practicum fees for undergraduate students, and internship and work placement fees for graduate students.
  • Miscellaneous and administrative fees: these are fees for service and may be incurred by a student as a result of a request or action.
  • Course specific fees: These may be charged by Brock University for the reasonable cost of such things as field trips, learning material and clothing retained by the student. Please consult course descriptions to identify if course specific fees apply.
  • Residence and meal plan fees: these vary depending on the residence assigned and type of room. Meal plans are mandatory for certain residence facilities. For details consult the Residence Services website.

Ancillary Fees

For undergraduates:

Most ancillary fees are mandatory and are governed by an Ancillary Fee Protocol established between Brock University and the Brock University Student’s Union (BUSU). Please visit the Brock BUSU website for full details:

For graduates:

Most ancillary fees administered by Brock University are mandatory and governed by an Ancillary Fee Protocol established between the university and the students’ union. Ancillary fees are assessed on a per credit and sessional basis. The fees administered by the Graduate Students Association are established in accordance with their constitution.

Health & Dental Insurance Plan

Students with comparable coverage have the opportunity to opt-out through the  Student Health Plan website for undergraduates or graduates.


UHIP offers basic health care for eligible international non-residents studying or working at a participating Ontario university. It is mandatory for all international students in Canada. If you have additional questions, please contact or visit our website.

Your Student Financial History will reflect all of your payments with due dates for each term that academic year. Please see below for an explanation of sample statements you may see:

[semester]$ Due as of  _____: This number reflects your total amount for whichever semester is specified that is due on the date specified. Please note, once paid in full, the number will remain here for the academic year.

Due Now: This is what you need to pay for tuition by the date specified.
*If you do not have a credit/scholarship/award/bursary that has already been applied to your account, the amount at Due Now should match the balance at [semester]$ Due as of ______. Please note, after you have paid this amount in full and it is reflected on your student account, the amount at Due Now should be $0.

Total Amount Due: This number reflects what is left to pay for the term. If you have paid all of your tuition for the previous term (e.g., Fall), this number should then match what is outstanding for your Winter$ Due as of the date specified.

For an overview of how to read your student account, please click here.

Please see Student Accounts and Financial Aid’s website here on how to make a payment. If you still have questions, please reach out to!

Just note: your tuition fees may not automatically show up after you register, and so sometimes students need to wait a little bit until they can see the amount they owe for tuition. For tuition due dates and more information, please check out the following webpage

The Student Accounts and Financial Aid Office will have Brock Scholars Awards posted to student accounts by the end of August. If your scholarship is not posted on your Student Financial History by the beginning of the Fall term,

For undergraduates: please email

For graduates: please email

Note: if you are starting in a different term than the Fall (e.g., Winter, Spring/Summer), please also reach out to  or if you do not see it by the beginning of term.

We are sorry to hear that you are facing financial hardships! Brock is committed to supporting students in several ways.

  1. If you haven’t already done so, please complete the OneApp This allows you to apply to hundreds of scholarships at once. You can also apply for International Awards!
    1. Within the OneApp, you can indicate your financial need for the Emergency Bursary.
    2. You can review the status of your application anytime online through your Brock portal.
    3. Questions and updates about your application can be directed to Brock Central
  2. For undergrads, your student union (BUSU) offers an Emergency student loan. To learn more and to apply, click here.
    1. You can also visit here for all their financial support.
    2. BUSU offers several ways to support students with food. Click here to learn more. 
  3. For grads, you can visit the Grad Studies Awards and Scholarships page and check out the Grad Studies Bursary Funds page.
  4. If you are experiencing food insecurity, please apply for the Food First program which provides assistance with food to students in need

Housing in Canada

Brock has many resources, for both On and Off-Campus:

Residence (On-Campus) Resources  

Off-Campus Living Resources  

If you are experiencing a housing crisis and need somewhere to stay, please visit

If you require urgent assistance with a landlord related concern, please contact the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit at  

If you have an emergency in Canada, call 911

To learn about the application process and deadlines, please visit Brock’s Residence page here.

If you are interested in living in Residence for the Spring/Summer term, click here.

You should email Residence to cancel the application as soon as you decide your travels.

This website provides additional details on cancelling before you move in. However, if you attempt to cancel after the move-in day, you will still charged early withdrawal fees.

Brock mailing addresses can only be used for students who live in one of Brock’s Residences. 

Canada Post offers a few options that might be helpful for those who need a Canadian address for delivery:

Please note that the options above might not apply for some government applications, such as SIN and IRCC forms. For those, your Canadian residential address might be needed.

Working in Canada

Learn all about Career & Settlement here

International Students in Canada can work without a work permit, if they meet the eligibility requirements:

  • They have a valid study permit;
    • Their study permit has proper conditions allowing them to work on OR/AND off campus;
  • They have a SIN;
  • They are full-time, studying in their academic term. For a definition of full-time, please see here.
    • If they maintained full-time enrollment before and after a scheduled break, they can work full-time off-campus during the scheduled break.
    • Brock students can use Brock important dates to determine when their scheduled breaks start and end;

A few notes:

  • Taking courses in a scheduled break won’t affect students’ eligibility to work full-time during the break, if they meet the requirements to do so;
  • As long as students maintain full-time enrollment,
    • There is no limitation about hours for on-campus jobs.
    • They can work up to 20 hours per week for off-campus employers during an academic term

Check out the information provided on our Immigration page for information on how to apply for your SIN.

As long as you apply  for your PGWP before your study permit expires, you can stay in Canada and work full time, if you meet the eligibility.

You can show a future employer that you are able to work legally by giving them a copy of required documents (as outlined here).

No you cannot. You may only work if you are a full-time student UNLESS you are in your last semester – then you can work if you are parttime Please see IRCC’s webpages for on-campus and off-campus work requirements.