Applying for a SIN
International students applying for a SIN require a permit that confirms their right to work. The options are:
- a work permit; or,
- a study permit that includes conditions allowing work on and/or off-campus
Students who have study permits without these conditions must either apply for a new study permit or request an amendment to their current permit.
- Applying for a new permit: If the conditions were correct when the permit was issued (eg. Excluding off-campus work for English-language students), it will be necessary to apply for a new permit.
- Requesting an amendment: If the conditions were wrong when the permit was issued (eg. Excluding work for a student in a post-secondary degree program) an amendment can be requested.
- Amendment applications must include the original offer of acceptance used in the application for the current study permit AND current confirmation of enrolment.
- There is no fee for an amendment request.
- See IRCC details about applying for an amendment