Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Social Insurance Number (SIN) is required for anyone that wants to work and be paid in Canada. Understand employer’s role of requesting SIN. Check related information on IRCC website for the procedure on applying for a SIN for working off-campus.

  • International students applying for a SIN require a permit that confirms their right to work. The options are:
    • a work permit; or,
    • a study permit that includes conditions allowing work on and/or off-campus
  • Students who have study permits without these conditions must either apply for a new study permit, or an amendment to their current permit. Applying for a new permit If the conditions were correct when the permit was issued (eg. Excluding off-campus work for English-language students), it will be necessary to apply for a new permit. Requesting an amendment 
    • If the conditions were wrong when the permit was issued (eg. Excluding work for a student in a post-secondary degree program) an amendment can be requested.  
    • Amendment applications must include the original offer of acceptance used in the application for the current study permit AND current confirmation of enrolment. 
    • There is no fee for an amendment request. 
    • See IRCC details about applying for an amendment 
  • Bring a work permit or a study permit that includes conditions allowing work on and/or off campus, along with a passport to any Service Canada office to apply for the SIN. These applications are usually processed within minutes. The nearest Service Canada office is at 395 Ontario St. Henley Square Plaza.
  • Brock International Services invite Service Canada officers to issue SIN on campus multiple times through the year, please follow our upcoming events on ExperienceBU.
  • Service Canada offices are currently closed due to the COVID-19 response. Social Insurance Number applications are being processed online or by mail until Service Canada offices re-open.

Service Canada information about the impact of the COVID-19 response on SIN applications

Service Canada
Henley Square
395 Ontario Street
St. Catharines, ON, L2N 7N6
Telephone: 1 800 206 72181 800 206 7218 FREE option 3
Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30 am – 4:00 pm