Applying for a SIN
International students applying for a SIN require a permit that confirms their right to work. The options are:
- a work permit; or,
- a study permit that includes conditions allowing work on and/or off-campus
Students who have study permits without these conditions must either apply for a new study permit or request an amendment to their current permit.
- Applying for a new permit: If the conditions were correct when the permit was issued (eg. Excluding off-campus work for English-language students), it will be necessary to apply for a new permit.
- Requesting an amendment: If the conditions were wrong when the permit was issued (eg. Excluding work for a student in a post-secondary degree program) an amendment can be requested.
- Amendment applications must include the original offer of acceptance used in the application for the current study permit AND current confirmation of enrolment.
- There is no fee for an amendment request.
- See IRCC details about applying for an amendment
You can also reach out to our office at firstname.lastname@example.org should you need additional clarification
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes! Though you can apply for your SIN online and typically be able to view your SIN online in 5 business days, you can also get your SIN on the spot in the following ways:
Get your SIN at the Toronto Pearson Airport
Newcomers arriving at Toronto Pearson Airport during business hours may be able to get their Social Insurance Number (SIN) before leaving the airport at the Service Canada Kiosk.
If the Service Canada Kiosk is open when you land, you can apply and obtain a SIN right at the airport. Once you show your passport and study permit with work conditions, you will receive your SIN on the spot within a few minutes!
Get you SIN at an on-campus SIN Clinic
Brock International invites Service Canada officers to deliver SIN application workshops at the beginning of term on a regular basis.
Please follow our upcoming events on ExperienceBU and register!