UHIP offers affordable insurance to cover the cost of primary hospital and medical services. UHIP can be supplemented through the “StudentVIP” plan provided by BUSU (Brock University Students Union) and the GSA (Graduate Students Association), resulting in more comprehensive healthcare coverage.
New and returning degree-earning registered international students with a valid study permit or temporary resident visa, are automatically enrolled in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for the 12-month period running from Sept. 1 to Aug. 31 of the current academic year.
Exchange, Study Abroad, ESL and any part-time student who was previously enrolled as a full-time student, will be automatically enrolled in UHIP for the duration of the period of which they are attending the university.
If students have a spouse or dependent children living with them while they study or work in Ontario, the dependent must also be enrolled in UHIP. For more information on dependent eligibility please visit the UHIP website.
Dependants are not automatically enrolled in UHIP. Students are required to enrol their dependent family member(s) within 30 days of their arrival in Canada to avoid a late fee of $500.
Note: Students must be enrolled in UHIP in order to enrol their eligible dependants, and they must enroll their dependants every year.
New Incoming Students
Once registered for courses, newly admitted students are automatically enrolled for UHIP coverage. To ensure coverage is available for new students arriving to Canada, students are provided an additional 20 days coverage at no extra cost before the start of the coverage period.
|Starting Term||Coverage Start Date||Coverage Period|
|Fall||August 10||September 1 - August 31|
|Winter||December 10||January 1 - August 31|
|Spring/Summer||April 10||May 1 - August 31|
If newly admitted international students plan to arrive in Canada more than 20 days before the beginning of their term start date, they are required to purchase private insurance.
International students who are registered at Brock are automatically enrolled for the twelve-month coverage period, starting September 1 and ending August 31.
Exchange students are enrolled in UHIP at the start of their first academic term for the duration of their exchange program at Brock. Coverage is provided 20 days before the beginning of the term to accommodate early arrivals. It is critical that exchange program students are aware of their coverage end dates to ensure that coverage is maintained for the duration of their time in Ontario.
UHIP is mandatory when studying in Ontario unless students are provided with an exemption. Exemptions are rare. For more information on opting out and exemptions visit the UHIP website.
If a student is eligible for an exemption, they must provide proof of alternate coverage to email@example.com no more than 45 days after the start of term.
The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is modelled after the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) provided by the Ontario government. UHIP provides international students and their dependents coverage up to $1,000,000(CAD) per policy year (September 1 to August 31) for eligible medically necessary health services and medical treatments while studying in Ontario.
- If international students are travelling in Canada, but outside of Ontario, UHIP will only cover emergencies.
- If international students are travelling outside of Canada, they receive minimal coverage; it is strongly suggested student’s review their Student VIP Travel Coverage details prior to travelling outside of Canada.
For more information on what is covered, please see UHIP Coverage Details.
Manulife Cowan Insurance is the insurance provider that will cover eligible expenses under UHIP.
Close to the start of term, Cowan Insurance will send international students a Welcome to UHIP email to their Brock student email account (ex. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- This email will provide students with a link to register for their UHIP coverage card.
- To register for their UHIP card, students will need their Cowan certificate number, which can be found in the welcome email.
It is extremely important that students print a copy of their UHIP card and have it with them at all times. A UHIP card is required when accessing health care.
The welcome to UHIP email received from Cowan Insurance will include a link to register for online access.
To register, students will need their university email address, first name, last name, date of birth, and certificate number, as shown on your UHIP coverage card.
Registration to the online portal will provide the following services:
- Submit claims online
- View coverage details
- View claims history
- Update banking information for direct deposit reimbursement of claims
- View UHIP eCard
- Update personal information
- View Explanation of Benefit Statement online
- Locate a provider that bills UHIP directly
Remember: It is important to carry a UHIP coverage card to all medical appointments, as it will be required by the healthcare provider.
To avoid out of pocket expenses, it is recommended to visit a healthcare provider through the Preferred Provider Network.
- A preferred health services provider (i.e., a provider that accepts UHIP) will record students’ information and bill Cowan, the insurance provider, directly towards medical consultation fees.
Brock Student Health Services is a preferred health provider and offers on-campus appointments for current registered Brock students.
To be eligible for UHIP, student’s need to be actively registered at Brock. It is the students responsibility to inform email@example.com about any of the following changes to eligibility. Otherwise, the insurer has the right to decline your claims:
- Medical or Parental leave of absence
- Withdrawing from studies at Brock
- Leaving Canada for an uncertain period of time
- Returning to Brock from a Leave of Absence or any other temporary cessation of study
Please note the following:
- Students are eligible for UHIP coverage for a maximum of six part-time terms
- Students are eligible for UHIP coverage for one, four-month medical leave of absence during any twelve-month period
- Students are eligible for a maximum parental leave of twelve months
UHIP Charges and refunds
All UHIP fees are automatically charged and applied to a student’s Brock account. These charges will appear on their Student Finance History. For Exchange, ESL and Study Abroad students, UHIP fees will be based on the duration for which they are enrolled at Brock.
All prices listed below are in CAD.
|Program Start Date||Single Student||Addition of 1 Dependent||Addition of 2 or more dependents|
In the event that international students receive care from a provider outside of the preferred network (a provider that accepts UHIP), they will be required to pay directly and make a claim for reimbursement to Cowan.
- Some health care providers may charge beyond the UHIP reimbursement rates. It is important to know that students will only be reimbursed for the UHIP rate.
- All claims for reimbursement are made through the Cowan online member portal.
Students can submit claims by answering a few questions and uploading an invoice or by using the pdf claim form
Students may be eligible for a refund if one of the following applies:
- They withdraw from their program
- They complete their program
- They leave Canada for an uncertain period
- They become eligible for OHIP coverage
- They get a UHIP exemption
Students cannot get a refund for:
- Scheduled breaks between terms if this is the only period they are applying for a refund.
- After March 1 of each academic year (except if they have OHIP or they are approved for an exemption).
To request a refund, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Refund amounts are calculated from the first of the following month in which Cowan receives the refund request.
- Refund requests due to administrative error or approved exemptions from UHIP will be entitled to a refund of the full premium paid.
- No refund amount is paid in respect of months in which claims have been paid or for any months prior to the last month for which any claim was paid. These months would be considered covered months.
- This is applicable to ALL refund requests.
The annual UHIP coverage term is September 1 – August 31. UHIP coverage for international students may be extended:
- Only one time
- Until the end of the coverage term in which the member graduates, up to a maximum of four months; or
- Until the end of the term in which the student will be attending convocation, or at the University’s first-available convocation date
If eligible for a UHIP extension, it is important that the student contact email@example.com in mid-August to extend coverage and submit payment for UHIP applied to their student account in advance.
Students graduating in August, and attending Convocation in October
Brock can provide a UHIP extension until December (the end of the term of which convocation occurs).
The UHIP fee is $252.00 CAD/term and will be applied to the students finance account. Students will receive a new coverage card.
Students who have already attended Convocation in June
Unfortunately, UHIP cannot be extended beyond Aug 31st, 2022.
If a student has received a job offer that is full-time and longer than 6 months, they may be eligible to apply for OHIP for themself and their family members. Service Ontario should be directly contacted for OHIP related inquiries.
Manulife CoverMe Travel Insurance provides coverage for UHIP Alumni and members no longer participating under the UHIP Program who are residing in Canada. This program is separate from UHIP Plan. Members can obtain a quote for coverage that will own and pay for.
- To get a quote or apply: Call 1-8777-COVER ME (1-877-268-3763) or visit www.coverme.com.
Health & Dental Plans
The Brock University Students Union (BUSU) and Graduate Students Association (GSA) offers students a comprehensive Health, Vision, and Dental plan through Student VIP.
- To access your Student VIP Plan details,
NOTE: The Student VIP benefits plan works in combination with UHIP to ensure students have coverage where UHIP does not.
Questions & Support
|UHIP Support||Student VIP (Undergrad)||Student VIP (Grad)|