Earn a half Brock credit while travelling through beautiful Croatia. The Department of Geography and Tourism Studies offers students at Brock and other Canadian universities the opportunity to study at the International Tourism and Hospitality Academy at Sea (ITHAS).
Applications now closed!
We are no longer accepting applications for the Spring 2023 Croatia Field Course (GEOG/TOUR 3P37). Forms were due to the Department by December 16, 2022. Thanks to all who applied.
Couldn’t make it to the Information Session on November 2, 2022? Please email Dr. David Fennell (email@example.com) for a link to the presentation recording.
- Open to all Brock students
- Spend one week exploring Croatia with Dr. David Fennell and scholars from around the world
- All Brock students accepted for this field course will receive a travel award from the Faculty of Social Sciences to go towards trip expenses **
- Earn half a Brock credit (GEOG/TOUR 3P37)
- Prerequisite(s): two TOUR credits, two GEOG credits OR permission of the instructor
- Coursework is completed before and during your week in Croatia
- Learn alongside students from around the world
- This is an OSAP-eligible course
- Must be 18 years of age or over
- The Department of Geography and Tourism Studies is the only North American partner for the ITHAS program (other partners are from Europe and Asia)
- Credit will count towards your Tourism or Geography major or minor, or as an elective credit
- Open to any student studying at a Canadian university (through a Letter of Permission)
2017: Managing Change in Destinations: Past-Present-Future
May 6-13, 2017
View information booklet
Reflections on ITHAS 2017
2016: Planning Tourism Development in Emerging Destinations
May 7-14, 2016
Report and reflections from ITHAS 2016
2014: Promotion of Tourism Products
May 10-17, 2014
Report and reflections from ITHAS 2014
2010: Small Scale Tourism Development
May 1-9, 2010
Undergraduate students from all programs and years of study at Brock University are invited to apply for our Vancouver Field Course. Additionally, students studying at other Canadian universities are welcome to apply to take this course on Letter of Permission (LOP).
Please note that limited spots are available for this course. Priority will be given to Geography and Tourism majors in their third and fourth year of studies.
In-country Program Costs (payable to Brock University)
- The in-country program costs will be approximately $1,100 CAD. The price includes:
- Full board in twin or triple cabin
- Transfers from/to the airports Split or Zadar
- In addition to the quoted prices, every participant is required to pay €35 (€5 per day) for harbour tax upon arrival.
All entrance tickets, site visits/excursions in destinations, etc. will be covered by ITHAS national and local sponsors. Eating out, drinks, and extras such as entertainment or outings are an additional cost to the student.
If approved to take the course, a deposit of $400 CAD for the course will be charged to your student account by Monday, February 6, 2023. The balance of the in-country program fees will be charged to your student financial account by July 2023.
Approximately $1,200 – $1,400 CAD; It is the student’s responsibility to book their own flights.
Tuition for TOUR/GEOG 3P37
Please follow Spring session tuition deadline payments set by the Registrar. Online registration for this course opens in early March. Information about tuition is available here: https://brocku.ca/safa/tuition-and-fees/overview/undergraduate/
* In-country program cost does not include: tuition, flights, health insurance, meals at the airport or restaurants, or gratuities.
All are approximate and may not represent all costs that might be incurred during the course.
Faculty of Social Sciences Travel Award
All Brock students* accepted for this field course will receive a travel award of up to $3,000 CAD from the Faculty of Social Sciences to go towards trip expenses. This includes in-country program fees noted above (see “COST” section) and flights. This travel award does not cover tuition fees. This travel award will be applied directly to your student account.
* NOTE: Students are only eligible to receive the Faculty of Social Sciences Travel Award one time during their undergraduate studies. This means, students who received funding from the Faculty of Social Sciences for the Vancouver Field Course in 2022 will not be eligible for the Faculty of Social Sciences funding for the 2023 Croatia Field Course. However, these students will be eligible for other funding through Brock International (see below).
Students accepted to this field course will be eligible to apply for additional funding from Brock International to offset the field course expenses. Students could receive up to $750 through a combination of the International Mobility Award and Global Skills Opportunity** (GSO) Funding. Students should complete the One App to ensure eligibility can be assessed.
** NOTE: Students who received funding Global Skills Opportunity (GSO) for a previous international experience will not be eligible for this portion of the funding.
Student Awards and Financial Aid
This is an OSAP-eligible course. Students accepted to this field course may be eligible for additional awards and funding through Student Awards and Financial Aid.
“ITHAS 2016 meant so much to me and I miss everyone and everything about it! I learned more than I can possibly put into words about tourism, different cultures and about myself! I am so grateful to have been given this opportunity and am beyond happy with my overall experience! The adventure was only a week but it felt like a month and the friendships and memories will last a lifetime!”
– Brooklyn McIntosh, BA Tourism and Environment
Applications for the Spring 2023 Croatia Field Course (GEOG/TOUR 3P37) are no longer being accepted.
Please contact Dr. David Fennell at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions related to the Croatia Field Course.
Brock University continues to closely monitor the COVID-19 situation. The University follows the advice of Public Health authorities.
As of Sept. 7, 2021 Brock University’s vaccine mandate is in effect. Students and Faculty must be fully vaccinated to participate in this field course and must provide the University with proof of vaccination status.
Due to the ongoing uncertainty of COVID-19, details of this field course are subject to change.
Course will be offered dependent on final enrollment.
* Final dates are conditional on final course enrollment.
** Limited spots available. Priority will be given to Geography and Tourism majors in their third and fourth year of studies. However, students from all Brock programs and any year of study are welcome to apply.