Associate Professor, Geography and Tourism Studies
My research focuses on the linkages between tourism and development theory, and rural tourism development. I am currently involved in an ongoing research project on Green Tourism in rural Japan.
- Linkages between tourism and development theory
- Tourism planning and development
- Rural tourism development
- Telfer, David J. and Sharpley, R. (2016) Tourism and Development in the Developing World, (2nd Edition). Abingdon, Oxon, UK: Routledge.
- Sharpley, R. and Telfer, David J. (Eds.) (2015) Tourism and Development: Concepts and Issues (2nd Edition). Clevedon, UK: Channel View Publications
- Telfer, D. J. (2009) Development Studies and Tourism, in M. Robinson and T. Jamal (eds.) Handbook of Tourism Studies, (pp. 146-165.) London: Sage Publications.
- Telfer. D.J. and Sharpley, R. (2008) Tourism and Development in the Developing World. London: Routledge.
- Hashimoto, A and Telfer D. (2008) “Chapter 15: From Sake to Sea Urchin: Food and Drink Festivals and Regional Identity in Japan.”. In Hall, C.M. & Sharples, L. (Eds) Food and Wine Festivals and Events Around the World. Oxford: Butter-worth-Heinemann, pp.249-278.
- Hashimoto, A. and Telfer, D. (2007) Geographic Representations Embedded within Souvenirs in Niagara: The Case of Geographically Displaced Authenticity. Tourism Geographies. 9(2), 191-217
- TOUR 2P30: Culture, Heritage and Tourism
- TOUR 3P30: Tourism Planning and Development
- TOUR 3P95: Visitor Attraction Management
- TOUR 4P30: Themes in Tourism Development