Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

When applying for your SIN, you must have the following important pieces of information:

If you have a Work permit (Off-Campus/Post Graduation):

  • Your valid passport (NOT a photocopy)
  • Your valid Study Permit
  • Your Work Permit

If you do not have a Work Permit and wish to work on campus:

  • Your valid passport (NOT a photocopy) with your valid Study Permit inside
  • A letter of contract of employment from your on campus employer which must include the following mandatory information:
    • Gender
    • Date of birth
    • Surname and given name
    • Study Permit document Number
    • Date the Study Permit was signed
    • Date of expiry of the Study Permit
    • Name of the on campus department or on campus business that is hiring you
    • Employer’s name
    • Civic address where the work will be performed
    • Employer’s signature
    • Employer’s telephone number
    • Contract of employment, which must show the start and end date of employment - these dates must fall within the study permit dates
    • Employee’s start and end dates of employment
    • Your signature and the date signed

The contract of employment must be printed on the employer’s letterhead.  

More related information can be found on the Service Canada website:

You can take this information in person to the Service Canada office in St. Catharines:

Service Canada
Henley Square
395 Ontario Street
St. Catharines, ON, L2N 7N6
Telephone: 1 800 206 7218
Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30 am – 4:00 pm

Information on expiry date if SIN begins with "9"