Career Development Groups
Career Development Groups
- helping students find a career they can be passionate about.
Any student after their first year of study can join our Career Development Groups.
CDG starts off with an orientation to ‘group and concept mentoring’ and then comes back to focus on the individual. After group orientation - participants can take the Strong Interest Inventory – to help us discover what careers they would be most satisfied in. Used by more than 70 percent of U.S. colleges and universities, the Strong Interest Inventory® assessment is one of the world’s most widely respected and frequently used career planning tools. before students can select a career, they first need to find the path that’s right for them. The Strong assessment can help. By giving students insight into their interests, preferences, and personal styles, the Strong enables them to identify specific courses, jobs, internships, and activities they’re likely to enjoy. And that can greatly increase the likelihood that they’ll stay in school and ultimately graduate and know what the next steps are after BROCK.
After we know what area people are leaning towards, we can start to form some career groups… ie teaching, health care etc. Or participants can decide to pick their workshops in an A la carte fashion…. Whatever interests them. However, if you want to participate in the CCI – you should have attended the resume, and interview prep workshops!
CCI = Condensed Circuit interviews whereas students rotate to different booths at the career expo. At each booth, a professional will ask them a question and generate feedback based on the participants response. It’s a great way to practice interview responses and network as well.
In second term we assist you in creating a portfolio, and you can take the opportunity to use interview stream or have a professional conduct a mock interview with you.
If you are unclear in your goals or feeling a little overwhelmed regarding your future, Career Development Groups can help.
Program at a glance:
Starts with an' all participant' orientation about what we will cover over the year (kick off)
- (Individual) completes Strong Interest Inventory® and receives a 1:1 follow up and interpretive appointment
- Workshops – Resume writing, cover letter and interview preparation techniques – all to get you prepared for the Career Expo event in November
- CCI – Condensed Circuit Interviews at Expo event
- LinkedIn / Social Media for Career Search workshop, and Public Speaking workshop
- Portfolio development
- Mock interviews
- Lunch and Learn series… ie. Financial Planning Seminar
What will I get out of Career Development Groups?
- A comprehensive interpretive report based on your Strong® inventory findings, and 1:1 assistance with your career plans from a career advisor
- A tailored action plan to help you achieve your career and academic goal
- Feedback about your interview skills from industry professionals
- Flexibility – participate in the workshops that interest you, and help you along the road to attaining your goals
- Friends in your area of career interest to discuss challenges and future planning
- Accomplishments tracked on your Experience Plus transcript
- Peace of Mind – understand what your next steps are after graduation!