|Faculty Supporting & Home Department||Contact|
|Faculty of Mathematics & Sciences (Biological Sciences)||Lori MacNeil email@example.com|
|Faculty of Social Science (Geography and Tourism Studies)||Michael Ripmeester firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Faculty of Applied Health Sciences (Health Sciences)||Asif Khowaja email@example.com|
|Goodman School of Business (Marketing International Business Strategy)||Kai-Yu Wang firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Faculty of Humanities (Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures)||Jean Ntakirutimana email@example.com|
|Faculty of Education (Teacher Education)||Michael Mindzak firstname.lastname@example.org|
Historical Context and Position Summary:
With experiential learning a long-standing strength at Brock University and with our focus on it within our current Strategic Plan, Niagara Roots – Global Reach, these positions are peer-to-peer support as we continue to build high-quality experiential learning options for our students. These build on the foundation laid through the former Faculty Associate for Service-Learning and Faculty Associate for Experiential Education positions (2012-2019). Through connection with the Experiential Education team and Associate Director, Experiential Education, these roles will work with the assigned Faculty with the goal of supporting, inspiring and advancing experiential learning within curricular courses at Brock University.
Overview of the Role:
Applications and/or nominations will be reviewed in order to select the team of Faculty Champions (one position per Faculty). Faculty Champions must be full-time teaching faculty members able to serve from September 1, 2022 through August 2023. The intention of the role is to be a peer-to-peer influence and leader in experiential learning. A $1,000 stipend will be provided for the year and while this position does not contribute to workload assigned by the Dean/Chair, is able to be counted as service.
The Faculty Champion role includes the following responsibilities:
- Meeting twice per term; once with other Faculty Champions and the Associate Director, Experiential Education and the other with the full Faculty Champion and Experiential Education Team to discuss goals and strategies to support, inspire and advance experiential learning;
- Lead a community of practice (C.o.P.) within the assigned Faculty around experiential learning (best practices, examples of current courses, campus and community resources, reflection, and assessment, etc.). The C.o.P. would happen at least twice per year and the Faculty Champion would coordinate, advertise and facilitate the session with support from the Experiential Education Coordinator(s) in the Faculty;
- Meet with faculty members (i.e., new faculty or faculty teaching courses where an experiential learning element would be beneficial) to discuss experiential learning, its strong history and presence at Brock University, what they might be able to do as part of their courses and follow-up as needed;
- Promote the Experiential Education stream of the Teaching & Learning Innovation Grants within the assigned Faculty and encourage others to apply for funding to support new ideas;
- Promoting external funding that allows growth in experiential learning courses on campus;
- Support the creation and/or promotion of an Experiential Learning teaching award within the Faculty;
- Liaise and work closely with the Experiential Education Coordinator(s) within the assigned Faculty to align priorities throughout the year (e.g. Composition of Final Grade form completion, Experiential Education P.D., etc.), support one another and other initiatives that arise, etc.
- To apply, complete the form below. Applications/nominations are due June 1, 2022.
- Content could include a combination of the following ideas/topics: reason for application/nomination, experience with (link) experiential pedagogies, examples of innovation or creativity in the classroom with limited resources, vision for and/or way of activating the role within the Faculty, etc.
For more information, please visit Brock’s (link) Experiential Education website.