Peer to Peer Team Member
Sexual Violence Support and Prevention (SVSP) at Brock University seeks individuals to join our team working to end sexual violence in a post-secondary environment. Our peer support team will act as a pivot service connecting individuals to supports both on and off campus and assist in educating the Brock community in the topic of Sexual Violence.
The successful candidate will have an interest in this field demonstrated through voluntary, activist or advocacy activities. Previous employment experience is appreciated but not required.
These are part-time positions at 10 hrs/week from January 2020 through April 2020 (17 weeks). Located at the St. Catharines campus of Brock University.
Individuals will be offered a 17-week contract of 10 hrs/week from January 2020 through April 2020 at the St. Catharines campus of Brock University. The successful candidates will receive a complete orientation including job expectations, understanding SVSP in the context of Human Rights and Equity as well as necessary information about Brock. The team members will report to Sexual Violence Support and Education Coordinator. If the candidate expresses an interest in developing specific skills, Sexual Violence Support and Education Coordinator will work to facilitate this.
All team members will be involved in:
• Assisting in event planning and programming
• Delivering Workshop related to the field of Sexual Violence
• Staffing drop-in centre and providing peer support Each of the positions will have a primary focus within their job duties.
The areas of specialty will include:
• Male Identified Programming
• Female Identified Programing
• A general focus in Sexual Violence within Human Rights and Equity Skills
• Personal Intercommunication
• Public presentation skills
• Social Media content development and delivery
• Ability to follow protocol for reporting incidents
• Graphic design for publicity campaigns,
• Developing educational messaging
• Critical thinking skills
• Time management
• Ability to work in collaboration with a dynamic team
The area of academic concentration is not a factor in this hiring. Preference for individuals with lived experience as members of racialized, LGBTQ2S+, disabled, or other marginalized communities, as well as recent, or current, experience as a student within a post-secondary institution. Commitment to ending sexual violence as demonstrated through previous or current activist or voluntary work is strongly desired
Peer Support Team member will be provided Training and Orientation the First Week in January 2020. The Peer Support team members will work daily with the Sexual Violence Support and Education Coordinator. We honour initiative and will allow the team members a great deal of freedom to complete projects while being present to assist in any way necessary. Mentoring is part and parcel of what is done daily in this office and a task we take very seriously. This department focuses on promoting human rights policies and practices throughout the institution allowing the team members to work within an inclusive and affirming space while learning how to effect institutional and cultural change around inclusion, equity, decolonization and reconciliation.
To be eligible, candidates must:
• be a current Brock University student or recent graduate at the start of the employment;
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
• have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
• provide a clear Vulnerable Person Police Check upon hiring
If interested in applying, please send your resume and cover letter to SVSEC@brocku.ca no later than November 29 , 2019. In your cover letter, please indicate which area(s) of programming are of interest. Anticipated start date will be January 6th 2020. The position will be contracted for 10 hours per week for 17-weeks between January 2020 through April 2020.