What are my Sexual Violence Disclosing and Reporting Options at Brock?

Take a breath, searching for the right path to take can be an overwhelming and intimidating process. HRE can assist you in understanding your options for reporting and disclosing an occurrence sexual violence. We want you to feel like you can make an informed and supported decision. Know that you are not required to file a report, you are the person who decides what happens. Your information is kept confidential. The only time this is altered is in the case of legal requirements or if you ask us to talk to someone on your behalf.

If you have questions about the process below, please reach out to the Gender and Sexual Violence Intake Support Coordinator, at svsec@brocku.ca, or any Human Rights and Equity team member for guidance or support. 

Brock Internal Sexual Vionece Disclosure and Report Process

Sexual Violence Disclosing & Reporting Process Text- Details About Each Step of the Path

You dictate what happens in the disclosure and reporting process at Brock. The process is Trauma-informed and survivor-led. You choose the path you take, and when and if you want to proceed.

You have the right to stop the process at any time. You also have the right to change your mind and choose a different path at any time. You are in control, we are here to support you.

Reaching out for help may be difficult after an experience of violence. Please know that we believe you, and you are not alone.

If you would like the help of HRE, you can begin by contacting svsec@brocku.ca, another Human Rights and Equity Team Member, or you can fill in our anonymous online disclosure form.

Your first step with us is a chat, also known as an “Anonymous Disclosure”. This chat is confidential and anonymous. We will only record your information with your consent. You will not get anyone in trouble. The police, parents, university faculty, staff, students or coaches will NOT be contacted, unless you make that request or it is required by law.

Making an anonymous disclosure helps you explore your options and helps us guide you towards resources to help you heal. Our team is here to show you available options; you choose where you go next.

To begin the process, contact our GSV Intake and Support Coordinator or another Human Rights and Equity Team Member, or you can fill out our anonymous online disclosure form.

Other onsite places that can offer assistance include: Campus Mental Health or Health Services, or Campus Security (see section below).

Next, we have many resources to help you process and heal after experiencing sexual violence. Our team members can assist you with navigating these resources, and find ones that suit your needs. You can also visit our Connect to Resources and Services page and Trauma and Self-Care page to explore options on your own.

If interested we can talk about your options of pursuing an Informal Disclosure, External Report to Police, or Formal Report. The details of these processes are described below. You are under NO obligation to pursue any of these options, you will still have access to accommodations, resources, and supports.

Making an Informal Disclosure is a confidential process. You get to choose who is involved and what supports you want to receive.

  • Access Supports: After an informal disclosure is made, HRE will provide you with access to supports, services, and accommodations. Examples might include counselling, support groups, speaking with your professors regarding due dates and/or accessing medical assistance. 
  • Option of Restorative Justice Process: You may choose to participate in a Trauma-Informed Restorative Justice Practice facilitated by HRE if both you and the respondent agree.
  • If you begin a pathway and it’s not working for you, you may select other options, including withdrawing from the process, making a Formal Report, or deciding to file an External Police Report. You will still receive supports, services, and accommodations as needed.

Please consult the Sexual Assault and Harassment Policy, Section 6.1 for details.

One option for reportin  off-campus for supports, and file a report with your local police. We can help you get organized and give you supports to help you through this process.

  • Accessing off-campus supports: When you come see us, we will provide you with information on off-campus supports. You can access any support that you think is right for you, and we are here to help you explore your options. For a list of off-campus supports, please scroll to the bottom section of this page.

Writing a Formal report can seem overwhelming. Aryan or another HRE Team Member is available to assist you through this process. Survivors can make a Formal Report of an alleged incident of Sexual Violence in writing to HRE on your own, or through the online form. Details described below help to describe the process of making a disclosure and reporting. Information is sourced from the Sexual Assault and Harassment Policy (SAHP) section 7.1.

  • Respondent Involved: An important detail about filing a Formal Report is that the respondent (the alleged offender) is notified and may be be involved in the process. If they choose not to participate, the University may proceed in their absence.
  • Interim Measures: HRE may recommend interim measures, such as altering living arrangement or limit contact with individuals. We will provide you with access to supports, services and accommodations that you need throughout this process. You do not need to file a Formal Report in order to obtain support, services, or accommodations (Section 12.1 of the SAHP).
  • HRE-led Investigation: It is not often this is required, but in some cases where we see a danger to the larger Brock Community, the University is required to step in. This is known as an HRE-Lead investigation. After receiving a report, HRE will determine whether to initiate an investigation. If an investigation takes place, the Complainant, Respondent, and Witnesses (if any) will be interviewed. Documents will be collected (section 8.1 of the SAHP).
  • Report Completed: Once the investigation is completed, an investigation report will be created, which includes the Formal Report, statements, responses, documentation, and any other information the investigator deems relevant. This report will be presented to an Investigation Review Committee (IRC), who will review the report to determine if there is a finding of fact and if so, they give recommendations on what actions should be taken. If there is a finding of fact, the process moves to the Decision Maker (section 8.8 of the SAHP).
  • Decision: The IRC will provide it’s recommendation and the investigation report to the Decision Maker, who will review the report and the recommendation. The Decision Maker will decide if the SAHP has been breached, has not been breached, or if there is no breach but non-disciplinary measures are required (section 9.1 of the SAHP).
  • Appeal: The Respondent will have a chance to respond throughout this process, and appeal the decision made by the decision maker. In some circumstances, the complainant can also appeal the Decision Maker’s decision (section 11.1 of the SAHP).
  • Remedy: The Decision Maker will determine the level of action appropriate for the circumstance. The Decisions Maker will be responsible for ensuring the measures are implemented. Discipline measures can range from community service to expulsion. Non-disciplinary measures can also be recommended, which can include Sexual Violence awareness education and mediation (section 10.1 of the SAHP).

Brock and External Disclosing and Reporting Options

These resources are available to anyone who wishes to disclose or report a sexual violence incident. Anonymous and third-party reporting is available with certain services. If you need guidance while navigating any services, please contact svsec@brocku.ca or any HRE team member. We are happy to help!

Brock University Options

Our office is here to receive disclosures and reports of incidents of sexual violence. We also help survivors access accommodations and supports, provide university-wide training and education, and investigate breaches of the Sexual Assault and Harassment Policy.

Brock Campus Security files formal reports of sexual violence, provide safety planning guidance, and provide crisis intervention on campus.

  • 24/7 emergency phone line: 905-688-5550 x3200
  • Main campus phone line: 905-688-5550 x4300
  • Marilyn Walker School phone line: 905-688-5550 x6300
  • Hamilton campus phone line: 905-688-5550 x3623
  • Email: security@brocku.ca
  • Website

Brock University’s Walk-in clinic for physical, mental, and sexual health services. They also can receive disclosures and reports related to sexual violence. Visit their website for more contact information.

Over the phone free Mental Health Support for students on and off-campus. They also take disclosures and reports of sexual violence occurrences.

  • Crisis support (24/7): 1-833-276-2533 (1-833-BROCK33)
  • Students who are outside of North America can call 011 416 382 3257 for 365/24/7 telephone support.
  • Email: referralstaff@brocku.ca
  • Website

Non-judgmental peer and professional support for residence students. Disclosures and reports can be made to residence staff.

  • North Service Desk crisis phone line: 905-688-5550 x3706
  • South Service Desk crisis phone line: 905-688-5550 x4311
  • Genera phone line: 905-688-5550 x3370
  • Email: res@brocku.ca
  • Website

Community Disclosing Options Without Police

Regional unit at the St. Catharines General Hospital for all sexual assault and domestic violence services. They can gather sexual assault evidence kit, give you medical attention, perform STI and pregnancy testing and prevention, and provide free counselling. This service DOES NOT report cases to the police.

  • Phone: 905-378-4647 x45300
  • For free counselling call the number above Wednesdays from 9am-12pm to register
  • Website
  • For immediate medical care at any time, please present to one of Niagara’s Health emergency departments or urgent care centres.
    • Greater Niagara General Site
      5546 Portage Road
      Niagara Falls, ON L2E 6X2
    • St. Catharines Site 
      1200 Fourth Avenue
      St. Catharines, ON L2S 0A9
    • Port Colborne Site
      260 Sugarloaf Street
      Port Colborne, ON L3K 2N7
    • Welland Site
      65 Third Street
      Welland, ON L3B 4W6

Response team located at Hamilton General Hospital and McMaster Children’s Hospital for all sexual ass­­­­­ault and domestic violence services. They can gather a sexual assault evidence kit, give you medical attention, perform STI and pregnancy testing and prevention, and provide free counselling. These locations do not report assault cases to police. You can request to see a SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) to receive this service.

  • Phone: 905-521-2100  x73557
  • Website
  • If you have experienced sexual assault or domestic violence and require medical care, visit these locations and ask for the sexual assault nurse examiner (SANE):

A service that offers free counselling by therapists specializing in trauma, guidance, accompaniment and advocacy when disclosing or reporting sexual violence, legal advice, and resources related to sexual violence.

This service offers free counselling and advocacy, diverse communities outreach, accompaniments and transportation services when reporting sexual violence.

Law Enforcement Reporting Services

24-hr crisis intervention for victims of crime and trauma, emotional support, referrals for additional community resources. Partnership with Niagara Regional Police and the O.P.P.

24-hr crisis intervention for victims of crime and trauma, emotional support, referrals for additional community resources.

  • 24/7 crisis line: 905-546-4904
  • Website

A general directory referencing the multiple branches of Ontario’s Victims Services.

Takes in Formal Reports of sexual violence, VICLAS report (anonymous report for crime tracking), and access to the Sexual Assault Unit (a detective unit).

  • 24/7 emergency phone line: 911
  • Non-emergency phone line: 905-688-4111
  • In-person report: 68 Church Street, St. Catharines, ON
  • Website

This service takes in Formal Reports of sexual violence, VICLAS reports (anonymous report for crime tracking), and has access to a Sexual Assault Unit (detective unit).