To build anything, you first need a strong foundation. Building your skills and knowledge is no different.
The Foundations in Leadership Professional Development Series is designed to give you increased self-awareness and provide you with the skills you need to be an effective leader. We believe that leaders who invest in strong foundational skills are best positioned to be impactful in meaningful leadership opportunities.
Our unique four-level program offers practical application and practice time in a collaborative learning environment. As you progress through each level, you will receive certification and build your self-awareness and skills in a variety of areas.
Explore our unique four-level program
Foundations in Interpersonal Communications
The Bronze level develops listening for understanding and communications skills. Strong interpersonal communication skills and self-responsible expression are the
foundation upon which future leadership skills are built. In Bronze, you will:
- Develop listening skills (verbal and non-verbal) so that you are able to focus on listening for understanding
- Develop self-expression skills to be able to respectfully and responsibly give constructive feedback
- Gain an understanding of your own interpersonal communication habits and learn how to communicate in a way that builds interpersonal relationships
Foundations in Problem Solving and Conflict Management
The Silver level encourages critical thinking, provides problem solving strategies and teaches conflict management skills. Critical and creative thinking, conflict resolution
and problem solving skills are crucial for innovative leaders. In Silver, you will:
- Develop your problem-solving skills and critical thinking skills
- Learn about what can block creative problem solving and strategies for engaging your creativity
- Learn your conflict management style and conflict tactics
- Gain experience in using communication skills within a model of conflict mediation that promotes win-win conflict outcomes
Foundations in Group Work
The Gold level increases awareness and understanding of group roles, dynamics and interactions. Identifying group norms and processes are essential for effective leaders
working in teams. In Gold, you will:
- Learn about working models for group processes, assisting you in diagnosing group problems, predicting group needs and building on group strengths
- Learn what affects the development of group norms and how to influence the development of a positive group climate
- Become familiar with various group member functions and understand why they are necessary
- Strengthen your observation skills through practice with several group observation tools
- Have an understanding of, and experience with, the facilitation of productive task-group meetings, and apply their skills from the bronze and silver levels to enhance problem-solving and decision-making in groups
Foundations in Leadership Style
The Platinum level empowers leaders by increasing their awareness of strengths, followers’ needs and motivating others. The path to great leadership starts with a deep understanding of the strengths you and your team bring to the table. In Platinum, you will:
- Learn about different leadership and following styles, and explore the positive and negative impact of your own style on your ability to lead
- Develop a number of strategies to become more task-effective and to manage the stress associated with a dynamic lifestyle
- Gain a realistic picture of your strengths and weaknesses for future development
- Add to your skills and strategies in other areas, such as motivating others and yourself, as well as learning about positive mentor behaviours
Information and FAQs
The Foundations in Leadership Professional Development program consists of four successive levels. Participants must complete the levels in order, starting with Bronze, as each level builds on the one before.
Each level requires 10 hours of in-class time, plus approximately 60 minutes of online or at home preparation (readings and reflection questions). Levels include various learning methodologies, including readings, and practical application.
Each level costs $50.
Sessions take place from September – April on the weekends. Each level consists of two consecutive days of class, Saturday and Sunday, with 5 hours of class plus 1 hour break each day; typically from 10am – 4pm.
We occasionally offer weekly sessions, which consists of five weekly 2-hour sessions. These session are typically scheduled Monday-Friday between the hours of 8am and 10pm. We strive to offer a variety of days and time to accommodate various academic schedules.
Classes will not run over the Reading Weeks or the exam periods to ensure you have time to focus on your academics!
You will find a full list of the upcoming courses on the Leadership Programs ExperienceBU page
Order a Workshop: Don’t see a course that fits your schedule? Have a group of people (friends, club members, co-workers) who would all like to take the class together? You can order a workshop for your group – click here to learn how.
When new classes are opened, they will be posted on ExperienceBU for students to register. You will also email when a new class in the level you are eligible for opens up.
Yes. Participants must complete the levels in order, starting with Bronze, as each level builds on the one before.
Absolutely! Our program is open to all Brock students, both undergraduate and graduates, as well as alumni and faculty and staff.
Yes! However, we do require a minimum of people in each level. All participants must meet the eligibility requirements of the level. If your group does not meet the minimum, we can still create a class for your group but we will have to open registration to others until the minimum is met.
Participants at all levels must demonstrate that they have a basic grasp of the levels content. Students who successfully pass the final quiz and demonstrate a grasp of the skills and concepts will be certified and able to advance on to the next level.
Students who miss more than 2-hours of class time in each level will not be eligible for certification.
See Refund Policy for more information regarding refunds.
Cancellations with 24 hours notice
Participants who cancel at least 24 hours before the start of the first class are entitled to receive a full refund.
Participants who do not attend the first class and withdraw from the course without 24 hours notice, will be charged a $20 missed appointment fee. Thus, are entitled to a $30 refund.
Failure or withdrawal after first class
Participants who attend the first class, but then choose to withdraw, or participants who fail the course are not eligible to receive a refund. If you decide to retake the course, you can do so at a reduced rate of $25.