Associate Dean, Teaching and Undergraduate Studies and Associate Professor, Sport Management
I am interested in a student-centred approach in both my teaching and research endeavours. My teaching and research expertise extends to organizational behaviour and leadership topics, with specific interest and passion related to leaders’ development and the processes that promote such development (e.g., experiential learning, mindfulness, leadership coaching).
- Leader Development
- Vertical and Lateral Development of Leaders
- Experiential Learning
- Coaching for Leader Development
- Member, Editorial Board, Sport Management Education Journal
- Member, North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM)
- Integral Master Coach™, Integral Coaching Canada®, Ottawa, ON
- Associate Certified Coach (ACC), International Coach Federation (ICF)
- Faculty Member, Integral Coaching Canada®, Ottawa, ON
McDonald, M. & Spence, K. (2016). Experiential learning: Impacting student lateral and vertical development. Invited peer-reviewed “Exemplary Contribution” manuscript to the Sport Management Education Journal, 10, 140-147.
McDonald, M. & Spence, K. (2015). Leadership. In T. Byers (Ed.), Contemporary issues in sport management: A critical introduction. London: Sage Publications.
Spence, K.K & McDonald, M.A. (2015). Assessing vertical development in experiential learning curriculum. Journal of Experiential Education, 38(3), 296-312.
Chard, C. & Spence, K. (2015). Sports rescue: The South End Mustangs Professional ice hockey team. Case Studies in Sport Management. 4(7), 44-53.
McIntosh, E., Capstick, A.L., & Spence, K.K. (2015). Management challenges in delivering an international sport and development program. Sport, Business, Management: An International Journal, 5(3), 276-296.
Filo, K., Spence, K.., & Sparvero, E. (2013). Exploring the properties of community among charity sport event participants. Managing Leisure, 18(3), 194–212.
MacIntosh, E. & Spence, K. K. (2012). An exploration of stakeholder values: In search of common ground within an international sport and development initiative. Sport Management Review, 15(4), 404-415.
- Introduction to Sport Industry Sectors
- Organizational Behaviour for Sport Organizations
- Leadership in Sport Organizations
- Leadership and Organizational Behaviour in Leisure, Sport, and Community Based Organization.
- 2017 Recipient, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2009 Recipient, New Educator Award, Management & Organizational Behaviour Teaching Society