Proof of English Language Proficiency
Master’s applicants who have not completed three or more years of post-secondary study, and doctoral applicants who have not completed two or more years of post-secondary study, at a Canadian institution or at an institution in one of the following exempt countries, will be required to provide proof of English language proficiency.
Applicants who are required to provide proof of English Language Proficiency must complete the English Language Proficiency (Self Report) form through their student portal account, as well as upload one of the accepted programs/tests listed below:
|English Proficiency Tests (EPT)||Requirement|
|TOEFL iBT||Minimum overall score of 80, with no subtest below 19|
|IELTS (Academic)||Minimum overall score of 6.5, with no subtest below 5.5|
|CAEL||Minimum overall score of 60, with 60 in writing, and no other subtest below 50|
|CAEL CE (Computer Edition)||Minimum overall score of 60, with 60 in writing, and no other subtest below 50|
|PTE Academics||Minimum overall score of 60, with no subtest below 60|
|Can Test for Scholars and Trainees||Minimum overall score of 4.5, with no subtest below 4.0|
|Brock English Placement Test (BEPT) Certificate||Minimum overall score of 6.0, with no subtest below 4.0|
1. Please note that some graduate programs may require higher English language test scores or additional English language proficiency verification. Please refer to the specific program for this information.
2. Test must be no more than two years old at the time of application.
|Brock’s Intensive English Language Program (IELP)
|Completion of Level 5|
|ESC (Language School Pathway)||Completion of the UCTP|
|ILAC (Language School Pathway)||Completion of University Pathway Level III (12 weeks)|
|ILSC (Language School Pathway)||Completion of Level A2|
|CLLC (Language School Pathway)||Completion of UPP Level 7|
1. Programs that require scores greater than the above English Proficiency Tests may not accept the above programs. Please contact your program of interest for more details.
2. When selecting one of the above 4 programs in the English self-report, please enter values of “0” in the reporting of scores.
3. Please upload a copy of your completion certificate or if you are still in program an enrollment certificate.
4. Completion of program must be no more than two years ago at the time of application.
Applicants who have completed the required years of post-secondary work in English, at an institution where English was the only language of instruction, may request a waiver of the English Proficiency Test submission requirements. Applicants requesting an English Language Proficiency waiver must also additionally upload an English Language Proficiency Waiver Letter. This letter should include your justification for us granting you a waiver; as well as, any supporting documentation that supports your justification and will aid us in assessing your request. This may include proof that English was the language of instruction at your university(s), an expired English Proficiency test score, etc. It should be noted that, in order to maintain a high academic standard, very few waivers are granted. It is recommended that all applicants for whom English is not their first language upload an English Proficiency Test result with their application. If your waiver is denied you must upload an English Proficiency Test to be considered for admission. In all cases of requests for a waiver, the Faculty of Graduate Studies, in consultation with the graduate program, will make the final determination. You may submit your request for a waiver and monitor the status of your request via the “Go to form” button next to the “English Proficiency (Self Report)” document in the Document Status channel of your Brock Portal account.