International Students

It is exciting to leave your home country and start a new page in your life as an international graduate student at Brock University. However, are you ready? 


You must abide by all the travel requirements set by the hosting country and your home country. For more detailed guidance, please review International Student Travel Requirements. We strongly recommend that you read this directive with great care and follow all the steps as instructed.  

Do NOT book any travel arrangements until you have met all of the requirements. All international students must register their travel and quarantine information with Brock International Services regardless of their vaccine status.

Start Here

Studying in Canada

As an international student, you may need a visitor visa and/or working papers to study in Canada.

Click the button below for information about required immigration documents to study and work in Canada.

Getting a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

To work and get paid in Canada, students need a SIN (Social Insurance Number).

1. Understand your residency and tax obligations
2. Learn more about your SIN 
3. Apply or renew below!

Canadian Income Taxes

The Canada Revenue Agency has essential tax information for international students studying in Canada. Be sure to visit their website to understand your residency status and tax obligations as an international student. Find more tax info below. 

Health Insurance

International students should enroll in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) and the Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) Health and Dental Plan.

All students who enroll for an academic year will have coverage until the end of August (typically Aug. 31).

You may also have received a copy of your UHIP coverage card from SunLife. 


For international students, who are new to Canada and to the Niagara Region, it could be challenging to find affordable housing to live in.

You will have the option of living on-campus in a student residence building, or off-campus in student housing or accommodations of your choosing.

Please see some of the options below. 

Immigration Status Change and Eligibility for Domestic Fees

All students not born in Canada must submit to the Faculty of Graduate Studies a proof of status document.

Students who do not provide adequate supporting documentation by the due dates below will not be eligible for tuition adjustments. 

Proof of Status form must be dated and received by:

  • Fall term – November 1
  • Winter term –  February 1 (tuition will not be adjusted for courses that started in the fall term)
  • Spring session – June 30
  • Summer session – August 1

For students whose immigration status changes after admission to the university, please submit the change to the Faculty of Graduate Studies as soon as possible. Adjustments will be made within the context of the above dates. 

Permanent Resident Documentation required:

  • Permanent Residence Card or Confirmation of Landing, or Record of Landing. 
  • A letter confirming that Citizenship and Immigration Canada has determined eligibility for immigration to Canada meets requirements. 

Permanent Resident (PR):

  • A person who has been granted “permanent resident” status and has not had that status revoked; or 
  • A person who has been approved “in-principle” for permanent resident status in Canada.

Other resources

Hi! 👋 I’m Elizabeth, and I can help you with your international graduate journey at Brock.

I am grateful for the opportunity of supporting the international graduate students with your questions concerning graduate program expectation(s), degree requirements, academic policies, and how best to utilize a variety of Brock services and supports. With abundant experience in serving international students in various contexts, I will assist you with: 

  • Formulating or adjusting your short-term or long-term educational goals to meet degree requirements.  
  • Providing consultation services for international students contemplating significant changes in their Plan of Study, such as taking a leave of absence, extension of the program, and other complex situations. 
  • Sharing resources to help you manage multiple aspects of your life in tandem with your academic expectations.  

Feel free to reach out to me at, book an appointment with me or through our Unibuddy chat.