Faculty of Education


  1. Can I change from one Concurrent program to another?  
  2. I am currently a student at Brock and interested in admission into one of the Concurrent Education Programs. Am I eligible?
  3. What if I decide not to continue in my Concurrent Education Program?
  4. Is there an alternative route to becoming a teacher?
  5. What happens if I do not maintain my average?
  6. Where can I get information about each program and what courses I will be taking?
  7. How do I know if I am meeting my program requirements?
  8. When should I make appointments for advising?
  9. When and how will I do that? When and how do I declare my teachable within the Integrated Studies (Honours)/BEd (Junior/Intermediate) program?
  10. When and how do I declare my second teachable subject within the BA, BSc or BPhEd (Honours)/BEd (Intermediate/Senior) Program.
  11. When do I begin having school placements/field experience?
  12. Where do I complete the CHYS 2P15 school placement?
  13. What is the difference between school placements and teaching blocks/practice teaching?
  14. What is a police check and how do I get one?
  15. Am I eligible for Brock Scholars Awards for the length of my program?
  16. Can I study abroad as a Concurrent Education student?
  17. Can I take courses at another university?
  18. I understand there are two campuses – Hamilton and St. Catharines. Can I request to go to the Hamilton campus?
  19. Which students must attend the Hamilton campus?
  20. Where is the Hamilton campus located?
  21. How do I obtain a letter stating that I am a Brock student?
  22. I'm in a Junior/Intermediate Concurrent Education program, but would like to eventually teach at the Senior level. How can I obtain my Senior level certification?
  23. I am not doing as well as I had hopedin my classes. Where can I go for help?
Concurrent Education programs have a limited number of spaces that may be filled. Consequently, it is not always possible to switch programs. Students who are considering a change in Concurrent Education programs should consult with one of the Concurrent Education Academic Advisers. To change Concurrent Education programs or teachable subjects, students must send an email to the Sandra Regier, Administrative Director of Concurrent Education Programs, at the end of the Fall/Winter session. Request should include the student’s full name, student ID number, current program and teachable(s), the specific change they are requesting, as well as a brief rationale for why they are making the request.  Requests must be received by June 1. For requests to be considered, students must have a minimum 70% cumulative overall average. Requests will be reviewed by the Concurrent Education Admissions Committee and students will be notified of the outcome of their request by July 1. Normally, program change requests are considered only after first year. Requests for a change in teachable subject for Junior/Intermediate programs or a second teachable subject for Intermediate/Senior may be considered up until fourth year.
Brock students may apply for second year entry into Concurrent Education. To be considered for admission, students must have an overall average of at least 70%, as well as have satisfied required secondary school credits. Ideally, students will have replicated the first year requirements of the Concurrent Education Program that they are requesting. Second year admission application forms are available on the Concurrent Education web site from April 1 to June 1. The completed documents must be filed in the Concurrent Education Office no later than June 1. Late applications will not be considered. Students should note that Concurrent Education Programs are limited enrolment programs and therefore, admission is not guaranteed by attainment of the minimum requirements.
Students who wish to withdrawal from Concurrent Education, are asked to notify the Concurrent Education Office of this decision. Any student planning to pursue an alternate academic program should consult with the Academic Adviser of their desired program. Academic Adviser contact information can be found using the Appointment function of of the MyBrockU student portal.
Is Concurrent Education the only route to becoming a teacher?
No. Students may also pursue a teaching career through Consecutive Teacher Education. Consecutive Teacher Education entails completing a university undergraduate degree, followed by application to and completion of a Bachelor of Education degree. For more information about the Consecutive route to becoming a teacher please see Brock's Consecutive Teacher Education program. Admission inquiries may be directed to edubrock@brocku.ca.
Students who do not maintain the 70% cumulative overall undergraduate average are removed from their Concurrent Education program. Student records are reviewed in May when final grades are available for the academic year. Those who have not maintained an overall average of 70% in undergraduate courses are notified in writing that they are unable to continue in the Concurrent Education Program. However, students may request an opportunity to upgrade their marks and to reapply to the concurrent program. To do so they will be required to meet with a Concurrent Education Academic Adviser to review program requirements and receive a request to shadow form. While shadowing students are not eligible to take Teacher Education courses and there is no guarantee of registration in undergraduate courses. *Please note* (1) A request to upgrade may be granted only once. (2) Students removed from the 5 year concurrent program after year 1, if reinstated, will be completing the 5 year concurrent program only if they have kept on track with their year one/two program and course requirements.
Undergraduate program and course information can be found in the Brock Undergraduate Calendar. Students should refer to the most recent Calendar for up to date information. Specific program requirements and course descriptions are provided in the relevant program/discipline section of the Calendar. The Calendar also includes the university's academic regulations and policies.

Given the complexity of Concurrent Education program, it is recommended that students consult with an Academic Adviser a minimum of once a year. Academic advising for Concurrent Education is conducted by: Ethna Bernat (Associate Administrative Director of Concurrent Education Programs), Pina McDonnell (Academic Adviser and Field Placement Assistant), Erin Plyley (Academic Adviser and Field Experience Assistant) and Sandra Regier (Administrative Director of Concurrent Education Programs). In addition to helping students understand program requirements, Concurrent Education Academic Advisers also: provide personalized program plans; help students track their progress towards meeting program requirements; assist students in developing strategies for academic success; connect students to resources and support services; and facilitate, arrange and monitor student field placements.

We recommend an appointment in the first term, particularly if the student has not attended SMART Start, to obtain a personalized plan of their program. Given the complexity of Concurrent Education Programs, it is recommended that students attend academic advising at least once a year, and as needed. Our office is extremely busy during registration, so students are encouraged to make appointments regarding their course selection in advance of registration periods.



When and how do I declare my teachable within the Integrated Studies (Honours)/BEd (Junior/Intermediate) program?

Students declare their teachable subject at the end of their first year, no later than June 1. A complete list of teachable subject options and requirements can be found in the relevant program section of the Undergraduate Calendar. Declaration of Teachable Subject forms will be available in the Forms section of the Concurrent Education website from April 1 to June 1.

Students declare their second teachable subject at the end of their first year, no later than June 1. A complete list of second teachable subject options and requirements can be found in the relevant program section of the Undergraduate Calendar. Declaration of Teachable Subject forms will be available in the Forms section of the Concurrent Education website from April 1 to June 1.

Students have their first school placement in second year. This experience is a required component of a full year undergraduate Child and Youth Studies course (CHYS2P15: Principles of Service-Learning Practicum) based on the application of service-learning principals within educational settings. Students will attend their designated placement a minimum of three hours per week for 18 weeks.


Concurrent students in P/J, J/I and I/S programs complete elementary school placements as a course requirement for CHYS 2P15: Principles of Service Learning Practicum. This course requires students to apply service-learning theories and principals within school settings with specific focus on current issues facing children and youth. Students have the opportunity to make placements requests (ie. school, grade, etc.), however, we cannot guarantee that all requests will be fulfilled. Availability of transportation will be considered.



A school placement or field experience refers to the experiences within school settings that are required course components of either undergraduate or Teacher Education credits. These experiences range from interactive to observational. Teaching blocks/practice teaching refers to practical experiences in teaching that are supervised in schools associated with the Teacher Education degree leading to a recommendation to the Ontario College of Teachers for an Ontario Certificate of Qualification. 


Concurrent Education students are responsible for obtaining a police records check with vulnerable sector screening for their required participation in field experience placements in courses including: CHYS 2P15, EDUC 8P15, EDUC 8P17, EDUC 8P18, EDUC 8P19, EDUC 8P50, MATH 3P91 and ESCI 3P91. Students will need to apply for a new police check every year and the police check can be no more than six months old at the beginning of their field experience. Concurrent students do not have field experience in their first year and therefore, will not require a police check until the summer prior to year two. The costs associated with the provision of the criminal record check and any appeals are to be borne by the applicant. More information about police check requirements can be found on the Concurrent Education website under Police Checks.  

Am I eligible for Brock Scholars Awards for the length of my program?

Eligibility for the Brock Scholars Award requires a course load comprised of at least sixty per cent undergraduate credits. The final two years of the 6 year Concurrent Education programs and the final year of the 5 year Concurrent Education programs do not include undergraduate credits and are comprised only of Teacher Education courses. Students are encouraged to review all awards and bursaries for which they may be eligible. For more information, visit Brock's Student Awards and Financial Aid website.

Given the specific requirements of Concurrent Education programs, exchange programs are not easily accommodated. Students are generally encouraged to pursue opportunities abroad during the break periods, such as the Fall or Winter readings week or during the Spring or Summer terms. Students in the Intermediate/Senior Concurrent Education programs may be able to pursue an exchange opportunity during the Fall or Winter terms, and approval to do so must be obtained by the Administrative Director of Concurrent Education.


To take a course at another university and have it count towards a Brock degree requires a “Letter of Permission” (LOP). Students must be granted an LOP from the Office of the Registrar before registering at another university. Concurrent students should consult with our office to ensure that courses completed on LOP will fulfill program and degree requirements. For more information about regulations and procedures related to the LOP process, see the University Policies and Regulations section of the Undergraduate Calendar

Students in the 6 year program may request to attend the Hamilton campus for their final 2 years, and those in the 5 year program for the final year only. The Department of Teacher Education reserves the right to assign Concurrent Education students, in their final year(s), to either the Hamilton or St. Catharines campus. Students will be given the opportunity to state their campus preference in the year prior to their final year(s).
Concurrent Education students in the Intermediate/Senior division who have French as their first or second teachable subject must attend the Hamilton campus for the final year(s) of the program.
The Hamilton Campus is located at 1842 King Street East, is easily reached from the QEW and accessible by public transportation.

Students must obtain an official letter confirming enrolment status from the Registrar’s Office. The Confirmation of Enrolment Request form is available on the Registrar’s Office website.


By completing Additional Basic Qualification (ABQ) course(s) students can become qualified to teach in other divisions or subject areas.  To take the Senior ABQ course, which would certify a J/I teacher to teach up to grade 12, a student must have five university credits in a teachable subject option for the Senior division. For a second teachable subject at the Senior level, three university credits in a teachable subject are required. Not all subject areas are offered at Brock. For more information about AQ courses, see Brock’s Centre for Continuing Teacher Education.


There are a number of people at Brock who are available to assist students in achieving academic success. Students who are concerned about their academic performance should attend their professor and/or TA office hours. Several departments offer academic support (such as the Math Help Desk) or can provide referrals to student tutors. Brock’s Student Development Centre offers a range of academic services from drop-in consultation hours to free workshops on a variety of topics including, but not limited to: fixing faulty grammar,  avoiding exam anxiety, and time management.  Finally, students are encouraged to attend academic advising annually, and as needed.



Computer Lab


Social media for researchers workshop
January 27, 2016 - 1:00pm - 2:30pm
SSHRC Insight Development Grant Writing Workshops
January 11, 2016 - 9:00am - January 14, 2016 - 12:00pm
PhD in Education Portfolio Defence - Owen Webb
January 7, 2016 - 10:00am - 12:00pm