Welcome to the Faculty of Education (FOE) at Brock University.
The priorities of the Associate Dean of Graduate Student Services, Research and International (ADGRI) are to provide leadership, outreach and support in three key areas:
- to enhance the experience of graduate students by providing advice and assistance to MEd and PhD students about the scope of graduate education, from program requirements to financial support in the form of scholarships, bursaries and teaching and research assistantships;
- to meet the needs of student and faculty researchers, from providing workshops on essential research skills and identifying funding sources, to facilitating the creation of research teams including cross disciplinary research teams; and
- to continue the success of our many international programs — from assisting students who are here studying in our cohort programs (The MPCE – the Masters Preparation Certificate in Education and the ISP – the International Student Program) and domestic programs, to hosting visiting scholars, and providing FOE students with opportunities to go abroad to study or take part in volunteer placements.
The ADGRI office has a highly motivated team of professional staff who are essential day-to-day in fulfilling our responsibilities in Graduate Student Services, Research and International. We are available and eager to support and work with students and faculty — your success is our success. Please let us know how we can help.
Best wishes for your graduate studies,
Michael O’Sullivan, Ed. D.
Associate Professor and
Associate Dean, Graduate Student Services, Research, and International
Services Provided by the ADGRI
Our Graduate Student services staff support MEd and PhD students from the time they receive their acceptance through to graduation day. They liaise with Graduate Program Directors and faculty members to advise incoming and continuing students about course offerings, program pathways, and degree requirements. Our staff also refer students to appropriate resources and support networks; and assist students to identify and connect with potential academic advisors.
The Faculty of Education offers several bursaries and fellowships. Calls for bursary applications are made three times per year based on funding availability. Calls for fellowship applications are made once per year based on the availability of funding.
The Office of Research supports the research of faculty members and graduate students by identifying funding opportunities, reviewing grant applications and ethics applications prior to their formal submission, and organizing research skills workshops. The Office also identifies, implements, and monitors new research processes or procedures within the Faculty. Partnerships have been developed with Brock’s Office of Research Services (ORS) and the Faculty of Graduate Studies VITAE Essential Skills Program for Graduate Students.
The International Programs Office supports faculty and students of the Masters Preparation Certificate in Education (MPCE) and the Internationally-educated, Structured Program (ISP) and engages with our recruiting partners to attract international students to our University. The Office also develops and supports international outreach initiatives that enable students to go abroad for credit and non-credit studies or volunteer experiences and for faculty to teach in other countries.
Working through the Office of Research and International Programs Office, ADGRI engages internal and external stakeholders to provide workshops, consultations, and other support for:
- Researchers seeking grant funding
- Graduate students applying for research-based scholarships and fellowships
- Research assistants and their supervisors
- Research teams and collaborators
- The Centre for Multiliteracies
- The Brock Learning Lab
- The Educational Research and Innovation Hub
- Postdoctoral fellows
- Academic writers
- Scholarly conference organizers
- Programs for international scholars, professors, and students.
- Develop and oversee Memoranda of Understanding, partnerships, and exchange agreements with international institutions.