Dr. Gary Pickering
Professor of Biological Sciences and Psychology/Wine Science
Faculty of Mathematics and Science, Brock University, St. Catharines, Ont.
Phone: 905-688-5550 x4719
Office: MC F243
- BSc (Zoology), Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- Post-graduate Diploma in Viticulture and Oenology with distinction, Lincoln University, New Zealand
- Certificate in Advanced Flavour Science, University of Otago, New Zealand
- PhD (Wine Science), Lincoln University, New Zealand
OEVI 1P20 - Introduction to Wine
PSYC 3P46 - Psychology of Eating
OEVI 4P20 - Sensory Evaluation of Wine
BIOL 5P20 - Advanced Sensory Evaluation of Wines
BIOL 5P73 - Advanced Wine Flavour
Flavour science, wine quality, sensory evaluation, psychophysics of taste.
In the News
· Selected Publications and Presentations
(Click here for full list of publications)
Botezatu, A. I., Kotseridis, Y., Inglis, D., and Pickering, G.J. (2012). Occurrence and contribution of alkyl-methoxyprazines in wine tainted by Harmonia axyridis and Coccinella septempunctata. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture (submitted).
· Hayes, J.E. and Pickering, G.J. (2012). Wine expertise predicts taste phenotype. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture, 63 (1) (in press; accepted October 2011).
· Glemser, E. J., Dowling, L., Hallett, R. H., Inglis, D., Pickering, G. J., McFadden-Smith, W. H., and Sears, M. K. (2012). A novel method for controlling Harmonia axyridis (Coleoptera:Coccinellidae) in vineyards. Environmental Entomology (accepted Dec 2011).
· Inglis, D. and Pickering, G.J. (2012). Vintning on thin ice – the making of Canada’s iconic dessert wine. IN Ripmeester, M. P. Mackintosh, and C. Fullerton (eds.) An Introduction to Niagara Wines. Waterloo: Wilfrid Laurier University Press (in press).
· Gaudette, N.J. and Pickering, G.J. (2011). Optimizing the Orosensory Properties of Functional Food and Beverages: The Influence of Novel Sweeteners, Odorants, Bitter Blockers and Their Mixtures on (+)-Catechin. Journal of Food Science (in review).
· Gaudette, N.J. and Pickering, G.J. (2011). The Efficacy of Bitter Blockers on Health-Relevant Bitterants. Journal of Functional Foods (in press doi:10.1016/j.jff.2011.10.003).
· Bajec, M.R. and Pickering, G.J. (2011). Influence of stimulus temperature on orosensory perception and variation with taste phenotype. Chemosensory Perception (in review).
· Gaudette, N.J. and Pickering, G.J. (2011). Sensory and chemical characteristics of trans-resveratrol fortified wine. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research, 17 (2), 249–257.
· Gaudette, N. and Pickering, G.J. (2011). Modifying Bitterness in Functional Food Products. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition (in press, accepted, November 2010).
· Bajec, M.R. and Pickering, G.J. (2010). Association of thermal taste and PROP responsiveness with food liking, neophobia, body mass index, and waist circumference. Food Quality and Preference 21, 589–601.
· Pickering, G.J., Bartolini, J-A., and Bajec, M.R. (2010). Perception of Beer Flavour Associates With Thermal Taster Status. Journal of the Institute of Brewing 116 (3), 239-244.
· Pickering, G.J., Moyes, A., Bajec, M.R. and DeCourville, N. (2010). Thermal taster status associates with oral sensations elicited by wine. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research 16, 361–367.
· Botezatu, A. and Pickering, G.J. (2010). Ladybug (Coccinellidae) taint in wine. IN Reynolds, A. G. Understanding and Managing Wine Quality and Safety. Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, U.K., 418-429.
Pickering, G.J., Blake, A.J., Soleas, G.J. and Inglis, D. (2010). Remediation of wine with elevated concentrations of 3-alkyl-2-methoxyprazines using cork and synthetic closures. Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment, 8 (2), 97-101.