CCOVI’s Grapevine Virus Testing Services is now open to our clients. Our hours will be more limited, but we hope to do your essential tests.
To keep everybody safe, service procedures will be slightly different for accepting samples:
Download and fill out the Sample Submission form here (or at the bottom of this page)
Email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org as a PDF, scan, or picture of the filled form. (No paper forms please!)
Once we receive the order, we will schedule sample drop-off for the next day.
Package your samples in a closed box or bag with the company name on the outside.
Bring your samples to Inniskillin Hall at the scheduled drop-off time. We will set up a table outside of the entry doors, since all of the doors are locked. Leave your samples on the table and we will retrieve them shortly.
- Sample drop-offs will be scheduled so that customers can avoid contact with each other. We will be setting up appointments between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- Make sure there is no headspace in your sample bottles so they can be stored overnight, if needed.
Thanks and talk to you soon!
– Tony and Sud
Our Grapevine Virus Testing Service
Grapevines are susceptible to many virus and virus-like agents that can negatively impact the health and quality of grapevine and its products. Detection is a first-step in the management of grapevine virus diseases.
At Brock University’s Cool Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute, we offer highly sensitive and accurate molecular virus diagnostics through CCOVI’s virus testing services to help manage the health status of grapevines. CCOVI virus testing services is your resource for detection.
Our ongoing research will assist in the management of grapevine virus diseases through dissemination of science-based knowledge, innovation, and collaborations to serve the Canadian grape and wine industry.
CCOVI virus testing services offers competitive pricing packages for a wide range of grapevine infecting non-regulated viruses including but not limited to:
- Grapevine Red Blotch Virus
- Grapevine leafroll-associated virus 3
- Grapevine Pinot Gris Virus
- Grapevine Fan Leaf Virus
- Grapevine leafroll-associated virus 1
- Grapevine leafroll-associated virus 2
- Grapevine leafroll-associated virus 4
- Grapevine rupestris stem pitting-associated virus
Please review the following information about using our Virus Testing Service:
- Instructions for Collecting and Submitting Leaf with Intact Petiole Samples for Grapevine Virus Testing
- Instructions for Collecting and Submitting Cane Samples for Virus Testing
- Sample Submission Form for Grapevine Virus Testing
- Terms and Conditions for Grapevine Virus Testing
Here’s virus testing recommendations for 1-Acre and 5-Acre vineyard blocks at 10% coverage.
Watch a webinar on virus testing and sampling produced by CCOVI in partnership with the Grape Growers of Ontario :
|Number of Viruses||Cost per sample||Cost per sample||Cost per sample|
|LEAF with petiole samples from a single vine OR five-vine composite||CANE samples from a single vine||CANE samples from a two-vine composite:|
- Improvements in Grapevine virus diagnostics: Sudarsana Poojari
- Epidemiology and management of grapevine virus diseases: Tom Lowery
- Demystifying the status of grapevine viruses in British Columbia: José Ramón Úrbez Torres
- OMAFRA Grapevine leafroll virus
- OMAFRA: Grapevine red blotch
- OMAFRA: Grape fanleaf virus and arabis mosaic virus
- OMAFRA: Grapevine viruses
- OMAFRA: Sooty mould – a sure sign of mealybugs
- CGCN: Grapevine Virus Resources
Navigate to Brock University’s northeast entrance, off Glenridge Avenue across from John Macdonell Street. Turn west into campus. There will be a small traffic circle. Take the second exit from the traffic circle, along the blue construction fencing. Drive forward toward the buildings. Inniskillin Hall is to the right, with purple-red accents on the windows.
There is one “Reserved CCOVI” parking spot in front of the building available for quick parking. Put on your four-way flashing lights, then walk toward the Shipping & Receiving dock. Turn right into the fire lane between the buildings. Ahead, there will be a tent covering a filing cabinet where your samples can be left for Analytical Services.
*There are extra forms and further instructions at the cabinet.