Rajiv Kaushik studied philosophy at the University of Toronto (1996-2000) and at the Husserl Archives in Leuven, Belgium (2002-3). He completed his doctoral studies at the University of Essex (2003-6). He has published widely in the areas of language, hermeneutics and aesthetics, and on the phenomenologies of Edmund Husserl and Maurice Merleau-Ponty. He has two books on Merleau-Ponty’s aesthetics and ontology, Art and Institution: Aesthetics in Merleau-Ponty’s Late Works and Art, Language and Figure: Excursions in Hyper-Dialetic.
Area of specialization:
Phenomenology (esp. Husserl, Heidegger, Merleau-Ponty), Hermeneutics, Aesthetics
Area of competence:
Philosophy of Literature
- Kaushik, Rajiv. The Matrixed Ontology: Merleau-Ponty Between Philosophy and Symbolism. State University of New York Press. Forthcoming in 2019
- Alloa, Emmanuel, Chouraqui, Frank and Kaushik, Rajiv (eds). Merleau-Ponty and Contemporary Thought. State University of New York Press. Forthcoming in 2019.
- Kaushik, Rajiv. Excursions in Hyper-Dialectic: Figure, Language and Art in Merleau-Ponty. London: Bloomsbury Books. 2013. xxii 198.
- Kaushik, Rajiv. Art and Institution: Aesthetics in the Late Works of Merleau-Ponty. London: Continuum Books. 2011. xxii 208.
b. Articles in referred journals
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “Lighten Up: Merleau-Ponty and Nancy on Light, Form and Intelligibility” / “Illuminé: Merleau-Ponty et Nancy sur la luminére, la forme et l’intelligibilité”. Chiasmi International: Trillingual Studies in Merleau-Ponty. Vol. 19. 2018.
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “The Shape of Things: Separations and Symbolics in Merleau-Ponty”. Chiasmi International: Trilingual Studies in Merleau-Ponty. Vol. 18. Forthcoming in 2017.
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “Psyche and Civilization: The Far Reaches of Merleau-Ponty’s Natural Ontology”. Internationales Jahrbuch für Hermeneutik. Vol. 14, pp. 347-366.
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “The Obscene and the Corpse in the Works of Jean-Michel Basquiat”. Janus Head: Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature, Continental Philosophy, Phenomenological Psychology, and the Arts, Special Issue 2010. Vol. 12, pp. 109-124.
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “Physis and Flesh”. Analecta Husserliana, Vol. 104 2009. pp 77-91.
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “Affectivity and Religious Experience: Husserl’s God in the Unpublished Manuscripts”. The New Yearbook of Phenomenology and Phenomenological Research Vol. 8 2008 pp. 55-71 (published in 2009).
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “Architectonic and Myth Time: Merleau-Ponty’s Proust in The Visible and the Invisible”. Studia Phaenomenologica Vol. 8 2008. pp. 121-139.
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “Phenomenological Temporality and Proustian Nostalgia”. Analecta Husserliana Vol. 96 2007. pp. 225-241.
c. Chapters in Books
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “The Systems of Equivalencies in Matisse and Klee: Merleau-Ponty’s Ontology of Modern Painting in “Eye and Mind” in Understanding Modernism, Understanding Merleau-Ponty. Edited by Ariane Mildenberg (Forthcoming in Bloomsbury’s Historicizing Modernism Series, 2017).
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “The Problem of Memory in Proust: signification and time regained” in The Disease of the Soul: Melancholia, Unhappy Consciousness, Depression. Edited by Dariusz Skórczewski, and Andrzej Wierciński (Münster: LIT Verlag, Forthcoming, 2014).
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “Cy Twombly: gesture, space, and writing” in Moving Imagination, Explorations of gesture and inner movement in the arts, edited by Helena De Preester. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company 2013. pp. 235-246.