Jointly funded by the University, the Brock University Students’ Union (BUSU) and the Graduate Students’ Association (GSA), the Ombudsperson Office provides an independent, impartial and confidential service to assist members of the University community who have concerns regarding the application of University policies, procedures and practices. The Ombudsperson Office can hear concerns from any Brock student, staff or faculty member.
The Ombudsperson Office is overseen by a Joint Oversight Committee. The Joint Oversight Committee is chaired by the Director, Human Rights & Equity and includes representatives from BUSU, the GSA, faculty and staff. The Committee’s responsibilities are to:
- Select the individual who shall serve as the University Ombudsperson;
- Review the reports of the Ombudsperson;
- Provide advice, guidance and direction to the Ombudsperson in the performance of its functions;
- Respond to complaints relating to the Ombudsperson;
- Evaluate the performance of the University Ombudsperson;
- Advise the President regarding termination of the University Ombudsperson;
- Oversee planning and development of the Ombudsperson; and
- Revise the terms of reference of the University Ombudsperson at least every three years and approve any amendments.
The Office of the Provost & Vice-President, Academic is seeking nominees for the role of staff representative on the Ombudsperson Joint Oversight Committee. Appointments to the Committee will be made for a period of up to two years.
Nominations are open to all staff members.
To nominate themselves, candidates are asked to email firstname.lastname@example.org providing their name and explaining why they would like to join the committee and what they think their experience would add to the group.
Nominations will close on Friday, July 23 at 9 AM EST. Nominations will be reviewed by the Provost and the committee Chair. One staff member will be invited to join the Committee.