Assistant Professor, Nursing
Office: EA 321
905 688 5550 x0000
Dr. Elizabeth Orr is a Registered Nurse with clinical expertise in Pediatric, Maternal-child and Neonatal nursing. Her current research is focused on understanding the complex processes of hospital-to-home transitions, specifically the transition from NICU to home among vulnerable populations. She is also involved in work that aims to promote and prioritize emotional wellbeing among graduate students conducting emotionally demanding research.
- Hospital-to-home care transitions
- Public and patient engagement in research
- Secondary distress among researchers
- Qualitative and Mixed Methods approaches to applied health research
Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario (RNAO)
Nurse Researchers Interest Group (NRIG)
Maternal-Child Nursing Interest Group (MCNIG)
Pediatric Nursing Interest Group (PedNIG)
Canadian Association of Perinatal and Women’s Health Nurses (CAPWHN)
Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)
Nursing Network on Violence Against Women International (NNVAWI)
- Orr, E., Durepos, P., Jones, V. & Jack, S.M. (2021). Risk of Secondary Distress for Graduate Students Conducting Qualitative Research on Sensitive Subjects: A Scoping Review of Canadian Dissertations and Theses. Global Qualitative Nursing Research, 8, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1177/2333393621996679
- Campbell, K. A., Orr, E., Durepos, P., Nguyen, L., Li, L., Whitmore, C., Gehrke, P., Graham, L., & Jack, S. M. (2021). Reflexive Thematic Analysis for Applied Qualitative Health Research. The Qualitative Report, 26(6), 2011-2028. https://doi.org/10.46743/2160-3715/2021.5010
- Orr, E., Ballantyne, M., Gonzalez, A., & Jack, S. (2020). The complexity of the NICU-to-home experience for adolescent mothers: Meleis’ Transitions Theory applied. Advances in Nursing Science, 43(4), 349-359. DOI: 10.1097/ANS.0000000000000299
- Orr, E., Ballantyne, M., Gonzalez, A., & Jack, S.M. (2020). Methods for Enhancing the Quality and Depth of Interview Data in Applied Qualitative Health Research. Advances in Nursing Science, 43(3), 202-213. doi: 10.1097/ANS.0000000000000321
- Orr, E., Ganann, R., Wang, A., Coletta, G. On behalf of the EMBOLDEN research team. (2019). Infographic: Neighbourhood Profile-Hamilton. URL: https://tinyurl.com/wyftu74
- Luciani M., Campbell K., Orr E., Nguyen L., Manja V., Ausili D., Jack S.M. (2019). How to Design a Qualitative Health Research Study. Part 2: Data Generation and analysis considerations. Professioni Infermieristiche, 72(3), 221-231.
- Luciani M., Jack S., Campbell K., Orr E., Durepos P., Lin L., Strachan P., Di Mauro S. (2019). An Introduction to Qualitative Health Research. Professioni Infermieristiche, 72(1), 60-68.
- Durepos, P., Orr, E., Akhtar-Danesh, N., Ploeg, J., Sussman, T., & Kaasalainen, S. (2019). Caregiver Preparedness for Death in Dementia: An Evaluation of Existing Tools. Aging and Mental Health. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2019.1622074
- Jack, S.M., Gonzalez, A., Strohm, S., Croswell, L., Sheehan, D., Orr, E., & Lokko, H. (2019). Implementation & delivery of Nurse-Family Partnership in four Ontario public health units. Hamilton, ON: McMaster University.
- Valaitis, R.K., Ganann, R., Kothari, A., Scurr, T., Orr, E., Murray, N., Agarwal, G., Terry, A.L. Research Summary: Building Collaboration and the Social Environment for the Vanier Towers Community. Deliberative Dialogue Research Brief. Hamilton, ON. 2019.
- Durepos, P., Orr, E., Ploeg, J., Kaasalainen, S. (2018). The Value of measurement for development of nursing knowledge: Underlying philosophy, contributions and critiques. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 74(10), 2290-2300. https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.13778
- Jack, S.M., Orr, E., & Yost, E. (2018). Integration of content related to adverse childhood experiences in nurse home visitation program education, clinical practice and supervision: Summary of environmental scan and scoping review. Hamilton, ON: McMaster University.
- Orr, E., Jack, S. M., Sword, W., Ireland, S., & Ostolosky, L. (2017). Understanding the blogging practices of women undergoing In Vitro Fertilization (IVF): A discourse analysis of women’s IVF blogs. The Qualitative Report, 22(8), 2206-2230. Retrieved from http://nsuworks.nova.edu/tqr/vol22/iss8/8
- Professional & Therapeutic Communication
- Nursing Theory: Nursing Care of the Young Family
- Nursing Practicum: Nursing Care of the Young Family