Expense Types and Research Codes

Expense Types and Research Codes

The accounting staff of Research Services will handle the financial reporting for your research grant, but in order to make that possible, all research expenses require a code to identify the type of expense.

This expense code is required on all expenses charged to research funds. The Expense Code Table lists the codes and their uses. Research expense codes are required on cheque requisitions, travel claims, purchase orders and journal entries for all research accounts.


Expense Code Table           

Equipment E1
Materials, supplies and other expenditures M1
Maintenance M2
Overhead OH
Professional and technical services/contracts M3
Salaries - (ex. Research Assistants) S1
Travel T1










For more information, please contact: