- Departments & Centres
- Applied Linguistics
- Dramatic Arts
- English Language and Literature
- Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures
- Visual Arts
- Centre for Canadian Studies
- Centre for Digital Humanities
- Centre for Intercultural Studies
- Centre for Liberal Arts
- Centre for Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Centre for Studies in Arts and Culture
- Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts
- ART CENTRE
- Rodman Hall Art Centre
- Degree Programs
- Students in the Humanities
- Centre for Digital Humanities
- Dean's Conference Travel Grant
- Fulbright Visiting Research Chair
- Humanities Research Institute
- HRI Mandate and Structure
- HRI Membership
- HRI Funding
- HRI Conferences and Symposia
- Conferences and Symposia 2000 - 2001
- Conferences and Symposia 2002 - 2003
- Conferences and Symposia 2004 - 2005
- Conferences and Symposia 2005 - 2006
- Conferences and Symposia 2006 - 2007
- Conferences and Symposia 2007 - 2008
- Conferences and Symposia 2008 - 2009
- Conferences and Symposia 2009 - 2010
- Conferences and Symposia 2010 - 2011
- Conferences and Symposia 2011 - 2012
- Conferences and Symposia 2012 - 2013
- HRI Associates
- HRI Graduate Student Associates
- HRI Annual Report 2012-13
- HRI Awards
- HRI Forms and Deadlines
- The Brock Review
- Contact Us
Faculty of Humanities
English Language & Literature
Associate Professor, English Language & Literature
Director, The Centre for Canadian Studies
Canadian Literature, Avant-Garde Literature, Adaptation and Translation Theory, Contemporary Poetry, Canadian Studies, Archival and Editorial Theory
Avant-Garde Canadian Literature: The Early Manifestations. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2012.
“The Transnational Agenda of Lewis and Pound’s Avant-Garde.” Literature, Geography, Translation: Studies in World Writing. Ed. Cecilia Alvstad, Stefan Helgesson, and David Watson. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011. 209-220.
“A Postmodern Decadence in Canadian Sound and Visual Poetry.” Re:Reading the Postmodern. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press, 2010. 151-179.
Editor and Introduction. The Wrong World: Bertram Brooker’s Stories and Essays. Ottawa: The University of Ottawa Press, 2009.
“Non compos mentis: A Meta-Historical Survey of the Historiographic Narratives of Louis Riel’s ‘Insanity’”. International Journal of Canadian Studies. 40 (Spring 2009).
Editor and Introduction. Lawren Harris In the Ward: His Poetry and Painting. Toronto: Exile Editions, 2007.
Editor and Introduction. After Exile: A Raymond Knister Poetry Reader. Toronto: Exile Editions, 2003. Second edition 2011.
My current work addresses avant-garde literature in Vancouver from 1961 to 1975, exploring the heteroglossia of aesthetic and political communities that were active in the city during that time: including, amongst others, visual poetry, surrealism, Marxisms, and the lingering legacy of Modernism. I am also working on a scholarly edition of Solomon Allen’s experimental (and until now censored) novel They Have Bodies, as well as bill bissett’s What Fuckan Theory: a study uv langwage (with derek beaulieu).
Select Creative Publications:
The Obvious Flap. With Gary Barwin. Toronto: BookThug, 2011.
Psychic Geographies and Other Topics. Toronto: Quattro Press, 2010.
The Others Raisd in Me. Toronto: Pedlar Press, 2009.
Haikube. With Matt Donovan and Hallie Siegal. Toronto: BookThug, 2006.
If Language. Toronto: BookThug, 2005.
Select Recent Awards:
Ontario Arts Council Writers’ Works in Progress (2011)
SSHRC Standard Research Grant (2010)
Aid to Scholarly Publications (2010)
SSHRC Subgrant (2010)
Jean-Michel Lacroix Award, International Journal of Canadian Studies (2010, Best essay on a Canadian topic)
SSHRC Strategic Knowledge Clusters Grant (2008, Co-Applicant)
SSHRC Post-Doctoral Fellowship: Queen’s University (2006)
'The Changing Face of Theatre Criticism in the Digital Age,' A remarkable two-day colloquium with international reach, part of the Walker Cultural Leader Series for 2013-14