Dr. Kendra Thomson is an Associate Professor in the Department of Applied Disability Studies and a Doctoral-level Board Certified Behaviour Analyst. She completed a post-doctoral fellowship at York University with Dr. Jonathan Weiss, the CIHR Chair in Autism Spectrum Disorders Treatment and Care Research. Dr. Thomson earned her Ph.D. in Applied Behaviour Analysis from the University of Manitoba in 2011, her MA in Lifespan Development (Psychology) from Brock University in 2007, and her honours undergraduate degree in Psychology from the University of Manitoba in 2005.
If you are interested in volunteering in the Thomson lab, please email Dr. Thomson, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We are currently recruiting parents of children with autism spectrum disorder that are interested in teaching safety skills. See complete details here.
Sex Offending Behavior of Persons with an Intellectual Disability
Dorothy Griffiths, Kendra Thomson, Stephanie Ioannou, Jordan Hoath and Robin Wilson
The treatment of sexual offending behavior in persons with an intellectual disability is fraught with challenges. Behavior analysts are typically the first professionals called on to consult to these cases. However, effective and ethical treatment is an intersection of three divergent fields – all of which are necessary in order o support successful intervention; the field of intellectual disability, the field of forensics and treatment of persons who have sexually offended, and the field o applied behavioral analysis. In this book, the authors have developed an integrated functional approach in which these components coalesce to form a dynamic model for assessment and treatment.
My main research interests include evaluation of:
- behaviour analytic methods for training individuals how to implement empirically supported interventions with individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders (NDD), specifically autism spectrum disorder (ASD)
- behaviour analytic methods for training caregivers how to teach safety skills to children with NDD
- knowledge translation of best practice to caregivers and other individuals who work with children with NDD or other behavioural concerns
- functional behaviour assessment and treatment for individuals with NDD and sexual offending behaviour
- Zonneveld, K., Ennett, T., & Thomson, K., Vause, T., & Ditor, D. (in press). Assessment of the effectiveness of teaching with acoustical guidance (TAG) for teaching yoga poses to beginner and intermediate yoga practitioners. Journal of Applied Behaviour Analysis.
- Weiss, J. A. Thomson, K., Burnham-Riosa, P., Albaum, C., Chan, V., Maughan, A., Tablon, P., Black, K. (2018). A randomized controlled trial of cognitive behaviour therapy for emotion regulation in children with autism. Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry. Available online: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jcpp.12915
- Hassan, M., Simpson, A., Danaher, K., Haesen, J., Makela, T., & Thomson, K. (2018) An evaluation of behavioural skills training for teaching caregivers how to support social skill development in their child with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 48(6), pp 1957–1970.
- Hassan, M., Thomson, K. M., Khan, M., Burnham Riosa, P., & Weiss, J. A. (2017). Behavioural skills training for graduate students providing cognitive behaviour therapy to children with autism spectrum disorder. Behaviour Analysis: Research and Practice, 17(2), 155-165.
- Tint A., Thomson K., & Weiss J.A. (2016). A systematic literature review of the physical and psychosocial correlates of Special Olympics participation among individuals with intellectual disability. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research doi:10.1111/jir.12295.
- Thomson, K., Burnham Riosa, P., & Weiss, J. (2015). Brief report of preliminary outcomes of an emotion regulation intervention for children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. DOI 10.1007/s10803-015-2446-1
- Zaragoza Scherman, A., Thomson, K., Boris, A., Dodson, L., Pear, J., & Martin, G. (2015). Online Training of Discrete-Trials Teaching (DTT) for Educating Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Preliminary Study. Journal on Developmental Disabilities, 21, 22-33.
- Weiss, J., Thomson, K., & Chan, L. (2014). A systematic literature review of emotion regulation in individuals with autism spectrum disorders. Autism Research, 7(6), 629-648.
- Walters, K. & Thomson, K. (2013). The history of behaviour analysis in Manitoba: A Canadian Province with many contributions. The Behaviour Analyst, 36(1), 57-72.
- Wightman, J., Boris, A., Thomson, K., Martin, G. L., Fazzio, D., & Yu, C. T. (2012). Evaluation of a self-instructional package for teaching tutors to conduct discrete-trials teaching with children with autism. Journal on Developmental Disabilities, 18(3), 33-43.
- Thomson, K., Martin, G. L., Fazzio, D., Salem, S., Young, K., & Yu, C. T. (2012). Evaluation of a self-instructional package for teaching tutors to conduct discrete-trials teaching. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 6, 1073 – 1082.
- Young, K. L., Boris, A. L., Thomson, K. M., Martin, G. L., & Yu, C. T. (2012). Evaluation of a self-instructional package on discrete-trials teaching to parents of children with autism. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 6, 1321-1330.
- MacPherson, L. F., Sousa, C. G. P., Thomson, K., M., Martin, T. L., Salem, S., Martin, G. L., & Yu, C. T. (2011). Does the Assessment of Basic Learning Abilities predict four-choice discrimination learning for persons with developmental disabilities? Journal on Developmental Disabilities, 17, 38-46.
- Jeanson, B., Thiessen, C., Thomson, K., Vermeulen, R., Martin, G. L., & Yu, C. T. (2010). Field testing of the Discrete Trials Teaching Evaluation Form. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 4, 718-723.
- Salem. S., Fazzio, D., Arnal, L., Fregeau, P., Thomson, K., Martin, G. L., & Yu, C. T. (2009). A self-instructional package for teaching university students to conduct discrete-trials teaching with children with autism. Journal on Developmental Disabilities, 15, 21-29.
- Thomson, K., Martin, G. L., Arnal, L., Fazzio, D., & Yu, C. T. (2009). Instructing individuals to deliver discrete-trials teaching to children with autism spectrum disorders: A review. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 3(3), 590-606.
- Babel, D., Martin, G. L., Fazzio, D., Arnal, L., & Thomson, K. (2008). Assessment of reliability and validity of the discrete-trials teaching evaluation form. Developmental Disabilities Bulletin, 36, 67-80.
- Martin, G. L., & Thomson, K. (2011). Overview of behavioural sport psychology. In J. K. Luiselli & D. D. Reed (Eds.). Behavioural Sport Psychology: Evidence-Based Approaches to Performance Enhancement. New York: Springer.
- Thomson, K., Walters, K., Martin, G. L., & Yu, C. T. (2011). Treatments for adaptive and social skills. In J. L. Matson & P. Sturmey (Eds.) International Handbook of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disabilities. New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Current Graduate Students
- Joey Robertson
- Carly Magnacca
- Amanda Marcinkiewicz
- Past Graduate Students
- Sarah Davis, 2016-2018
- Mahfuz Hassan, 2015-2017