Admission to Music at Brock is a two-stage process:
1. Application to Brock through OUAC
2. Music Entrance Evaluation
Please note we will be conducting Entrance Evaluations virtually for the 2021-22 academic year. The Music Department is happy to assist applicants throughout this process.
Applying to the Music Program
Applicants must first apply to Brock University according to the regulations of the Office of the Registrar.
1. Learn about the application process at brocku.ca/admissions/apply.
- Apply for the following programs:
- Bachelor of Music (BMus) if you love performing and/or teaching and are looking for an intensive study of music in preparation for a professional career in music (note: private lesson fees are included in the BMus program)
- Bachelor of Arts, Music (B.A. Music) if you want to study music but desire more flexibility in your studies and career pathways (note: private lesson fees are not included in the BA program)
- If the B.A. Music does not appear in OUAC, please select BMus and we will be in contact with you to determine the best program for your needs
- The Admissions Office will assess your application for academic eligibility
2. Once you have a conditional offer of acceptance from Brock, you will receive an email confirmation explaining how to reserve your Music Entrance Evaluation appointment.
- Have you received a conditional offer of acceptance from Brock? If not, please review the “How to Apply” section above.
- If yes, complete the Department of Music Entrance Evaluation Form.
- Tip: check the section below on the Theory Placement Evaluation before starting the form
All applicants for the Bachelor of Music or the Bachelor of Arts in Music must arrange an individual appointment, scheduled on a specific date from February through May.
The Entrance Evaluation Day consists of the following:
- General Information Session (10:00-10:30am)
- All applicants on that day will meet together in Zoom
- Information on the Music programs, the Marilyn I. Walker School, Brock University and the surrounding community
- Family and friends are welcome
- Individual Appointments
- 10-minute interview – all applicants
- 10-minute playing audition – for BMus, or anyone wishing to take private lessons in the BA
This is your chance to ask us questions, and our chance to get to you know you. Our conversation will help us to determine the best path for you through our degree options. This interview is for the applicant and the selection committee only.
Audition – not mandatory!
An audition is only required for BMus applicants, or for those wishing to take private lessons as an elective in the BA program.
If you do plan to do a playing audition please see the Virtual Audition Information section below.
A Theory Placement evaluation is a required part of the application process.
Have you taken any theory exams?
The following completed theory examinations or higher level will be accepted in place of the Theory Placement test:
- Royal Conservatory of Music Level 7 Theory
- Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music Grade 5 Theory
- Trinity College Grade 5 Theory
- Conservatory Canada Grade 2 Theory
- Western Board of Music Grade 4 Rudiments
Certificates may be uploaded into the Department of Music Entrance Evaluation Form.
If you do not have any theory examination results to submit you can do our Theory Placement Test instead.
Online test coming soon!
- two contrasting pieces
- preferably solo repertoire (not a part from a piece for band, orchestra or choir)
- classical music (not jazz or pop)
- BMus: minimum RCM lvl 9 or equivalent. *Memorization required for piano, guitar, voice
- BA or elective lesson courses: minimum RCM lvl 5 or equivalent. *Memorization is not required
- piano accompaniment is not required for online auditions.
- optional backup piano track is suggested for instrumentalists, and highly recommended for singers.
- if using a backup track, ensure that it is only the accompaniment in the recording, and that you are not singing or performing on top of someone else’s voice or solo instrument.
GUIDELINES For pre-recorded video
- Use your phone or other basic device with camera. No fancy equipment is required.
- Place your camera to allow full visibility of you and your instrument.
- Pianists must arrange the camera to allow visibility of the keyboard, full posture and pedal.
- Record each piece in one take, a break between pieces is acceptable.
ZOOM AUDITION OPTION
If you prefer to do your audition live over Zoom:
- Create a free Zoom account
- Set up “High Fidelity Music Mode”
- Test your settings with someone so you know what works best for your setup
- For best results have a hard-wired connection
- Otherwise be as close to a wifi node as possible
- Ask everyone else in the house to remain off the internet for the duration of your audition
- If you’re using an accompaniment track, play back on a separate device than the one you are using for the Zoom call
submitting your video
Video files are very large and do not attach easily to emails. Please choose one delivery method from the following options:
- Upload to YouTube, set privacy to “unlisted” and share the link
- Send the MP4 file with WeTransfer.com (free file sharing service)
- Share through OneDrive or Dropbox
Submitting your scores
- Send a PDF scan of your music.
- The PDF of your music must also include the piano accompaniment, even if performing without piano (send the piano score, not just the solo part).
- Clearly label your music with the title and composer.
- These copies are for reference only and will be destroyed after your audition.
If you have any questions about the submission process please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Email your submission to the Music Office, email@example.com
Deadline: one week before your scheduled virtual appointment.
Performance videos must be submitted no later than one week before your scheduled virtual appointment.
- Decide on your preferred date
- Collect and scan any available theory or playing examination reports
- Complete the Department of Music Entrance Evaluation Form
- Submit the $50 fee at the end of the form
- Look for and confirm your Entrance Evaluation Appointment email from the Music Office
- Arrange for one Letter of Recommendation
Audition Checklist (for BMus or lesson courses)
- Choose two contrasting pieces according to the guidelines above
- Scan your scores
- Video record your performance, if pre-recording
- Submit scores and video (if pre-recording) to firstname.lastname@example.org
One Week Before your Entrance Evaluation day
- Confirm that you have received your Zoom link and schedule
- Review and submit any missing materials that have been requested
- If you have any questions please contact the Music Office: email@example.com
A letter of recommendation is required and must be submitted one week before the scheduled Entrance Evaluation date.
Please give the URL for this Letter of Recommendation form to your Music teacher or a person qualified to discuss your musical background and have them fill out the form. This form will automatically be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS: Please give the URL for this Letter of Recommendation form to your Music teacher or a person qualified to discuss your musical background. The completed form must be submitted by your referee at least one week before your scheduled Entrance Evaluation date.
NOTICE TO REFEREES: Please ensure this form is submitted one week before the applicant’s scheduled Entrance Evaluation date. If you are unable to use this electronic form please contact email@example.com for alternatives.
SCHOLARSHIPS, BURSARIES AND AWARDS
Students interested in applying for scholarships, bursaries, and awards are encouraged to have a look at Brock University’s Student Awards and Financial Aid website. Click the button below to see Brock’s list of awards for future Music students:
A. Whitmore Griffin Award in Music
Amadeus book prize
Atamanuk Family Bursary in Music
Bradley Music Education Trust Award
Byron Balaski Memorial Award
Doris White Memorial Bursary
Evelyn Fenwick Scholarship in Music
General Brock Entrance Award in Music
Graduating Student Prize
Marilyn I. Walker Textile Art Award
Music World Award
Ronald Tremain Prize in Musical Composition
Ruth and Horace Beard Award in Music
Senior Scholarship in Music