Welcome to Be Safe @ Brock
Workplace Violence Prevention Program
Brock University is committed to providing a healthy, safe and respectful work and learning environment and maintaining a workplace for all community members that is free of violence and meets the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act. The commitment is reflected in several University policies and protocols which outline the responsibilities of community members, including staff, faculty, and visitors to our campuses.
Workplace violence means:
- The exercise of physical force by a person against a worker, in a workplace, that causes or could cause physical injury to the worker
- An attempt to exercise physical force against a worker, in a workplace, that could cause physical injury to the worker
- A statement or behaviour that it is reasonable for a worker to interpret as a threat to exercise physical force against the worker, in a workplace, that could cause physical injury to the worker.
Workplace harassment means:
- Engaging in a course of vexatious comment or conduct against a worker in a workplace that is known or ought reasonably to be known to be unwelcome.
- Workplace harassment may include bullying, intimidating or offensive jokes or innuendos, displaying or circulating offensive pictures or materials, or offensive or intimidating phone calls.
Please view the links below for all the current legislation and training information:
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Ministry of Labour - Bill 168
The Brock Workplace Violence Prevention Programs Include:
- Occupational Health and Safety Policy
- Respectful Work and Learning Environment Policy
- Workers Rights and Responsibilities
- Students at Risk
- Focus on Learning (click link to see any available training on Workplace Violence)
Domestic Violence in the Workplace Resources
- Warning Signs for the Workplace
- Threat Assessment and Risk Management
- Power and Control Wheel
- How to Keep Yourself Safe When Domestic Violence Follows You to the Workplace
- Help for Employers
- Communication Strategies
For more information visit www.makeitourbusiness.com