The Dean’s Office provides conference assistance funds to BUFA members within the Faculty of Social Sciences in compliance with Appendix C, BUFA 2023-2026 Collective Agreement.
BUFA Collective Agreement (2023-2026), Appendix C: Salary & Benefits Settlement
“All members who personally present a peer-reviewed paper or poster session at an academic or professional conference related to their rights and responsibilities (see Article 12) may apply for and are eligible to receive a reimbursement for up to $900 per budget year (May 1 – April 30) in travel assistance.”
Internal Practice: BUFA Conference Assistance
Responsibility: Dean of Social Sciences
Approval: Ingrid Makus
Approval Date: May 30, 2012
Next Review: Jul 1, 2026
Amendment Date(s): Dec 1, 2015; Sep 29, 2017; May 1, 2018; May 1, 2019; Aug 11, 2022; Sept. 6, 2023
Prepared by: Sheila Smith
Updated by: Andrew Malcolm
Establish an internal practice to provide conference assistance funds to BUFA members within the Faculty of Social Sciences in compliance with Appendix C, BUFA 2023-2026 Collective Agreement.
This practice applies to BUFA members within the Faculty of Social Sciences.
It is the intention of the Faculty of Social Sciences, to establish a Conference Assistance practice and outline criteria for BUFA members who are eligible for assistance. Conference assistance is intended to help defray part of the travel costs associated with presenting a refereed paper or abstract at a recognized conference or meeting.
- Dean’s BUFA contribution for conference assistance is limited to $900 per budget year (May 1 to Apr 30) per qualifying BUFA member.
- Conference assistance can be applied against conference registration, return economy airfare, train fare or mileage (at Brock University rate), ground transportation, hotel accommodation and meals (receipts required).
- Faculty members should submit an on-line Conference Assistance application, to the Dean of Social Sciences at least two weeks prior to the proposed travel date.
- When a conference assistance on-line form is submitted, the Dean of Social Sciences will notify the applicant by email, as to whether their application has been approved.
- Travel and Expense reports submitted for SAC approval should include:
- The Dean’s email approval for conference assistance, together with all receipts.
- Itemization of “Expense Item” in Workday charging:
Program: “BUFA Conference Support – Appendix C”
Cost Centre: “CC2001 Dean of Social Sciences”
Fund: “01 Operating”
Additional Worktag: “Level: Undergraduate”