The Dean’s Office provides computer assistance funds to BUFA members within the Faculty of Social Sciences in compliance with Article 32.03 (b), BUFA 2017-2020 Collective Agreement.
BUFA Collective Agreement (2017-20), Article 32.03
“To further support the ongoing computing needs of members, the University agrees to provide one of the following, as the member chooses, every four (4) years:
a. A standard computing system (as described in Article 32.02 (a) through Article 32.02 (c)) through the redeployment of University computers; or
b. A maximum of $700 toward the purchase of a computer system of the member’s choosing, understanding that any additional amount required for the purchase will come from other sources already available to the member.
Members shall submit requests for either a standard computer system or a maximum of $700, as described in Article 32.03 (a) and (b), to their Dean or the University Librarian, as appropriate.”
Internal Practice: Computer Assistance
Responsibility: Interim Dean of Social Sciences
Approval: Ingrid Makus
Approval Date: May 30, 2012
Next Review: Jul 1, 2019
Amendment Date(s): Dec 1, 2015; Sep 29, 2017; May 1, 2018
Prepared by: Sheila Smith
Establish an internal practice to provide Computer assistance funds to BUFA members within the Faculty of Social Sciences in compliance with Article 32.03 (b), BUFA 2017-2020 Collective Agreement.
This practice applies to BUFA members within the Faculty of Social Sciences.
It is the intention of the Faculty of Social Sciences, to establish a Computer Assistance practice to determine BUFA members’ eligibility for reimbursement of a computer system. Computer assistance is intended to help defray part of the costs associated with the ongoing computing needs of BUFA members.
- Computer assistance is a maximum of $700 every four years per qualifying BUFA member.
- BUFA members who have less than four years’ service and received Startup Funds for the purchase of a new computer (as per their letter of offer), will not be eligible for computer assistance until their fourth year.
- Computer assistance can be applied “toward the purchase of a computer system of the member’s choosing, understanding that any additional amount 2 required for the purchase will come from other sources already available to the member.”
- Faculty members should submit an on-line Computer Assistance application, to the Dean of Social Sciences prior to considering purchasing a computer related purchase.
- When a computer assistance on-line form is submitted, the Dean of Social Sciences will notify the applicant by email, as to whether their application has been approved.
- When a computer purchase has been made through a purchase order or reimbursement is requested through an expense report, itemization of “Expense Item” or “Spend Category” should include:
- The Dean’s email approval for computer assistance, together with original invoices or receipts.
- Itemization of “Expense Item” or “Spend Category” in Workday charging:
Program: “BUFA Computer Support – Article 32.02”
Cost Centre: “CC2000 Dean of Social Sciences”
Fund: “01 Operating” Additional
Worktag: “Level: Administrative”