The Department of Applied Linguistics offers a vibrant academic and research environment. The department comprises interdisciplinary faculty members with diverse scholarly and research interests.
Our members include linguists, applied linguists, psycholinguists/neurolinguists, teachers of English as a subsequent language, and speech-language pathologists.
The Department of Applied Linguistics offers the following research facilities:
- Adult Speech, Language and Gesture Laboratory
- Applied Linguistics/TESL Laboratory
- Neurolinguistics Laboratory
- Speech Perception Laboratory
- Child Language Laboratory
The research focus is on placing language, learning, teaching and processing in context across the lifespan. Faculty members publish widely and present at international conferences in the following areas:
- Reflective teaching and practice
- Speech language
- Nonverbal communication
- Cross-linguistic comparison
- Child language development
- Narrative comprehension
- Communication disorders
- Life histories of ESL teachers
- English language use in Southeast Asia
- Environmental approach to communication
For more information about faculty research and publications, please visit our Faculty profile pages.