Arnie Lowenberger Residence is situated at the southwest corner of the Brock campus, nestled among our Village Residence townhouses. Lowenberger Residence opened in the Fall of 2003 with accommodation for 311 students in both double and single rooms in semi-suite style accommodations. There is a common lounge in each hall, laundry facilities, vending areas and a residence dining hall. A meal plan is mandatory.
floors and mascots
Named for Maj. John Richardson (1796-1852). Richardson joined the British army at the outbreak of the War of 1812. Once retired, he published the poem “Tecumseh” and a historical novel called Wacousta. He published two weekly newspapers from 1841 to 1844 called The New Era and The Canadian Loyalist.
Col. Robert Nelles (1761-1842) was a loyalist from the Mohawk Valley, NY. Nelles came to Canada during the American Revolution, and from 1780 to 1784 he served in the Indian Department. Nelles built mills and a store on nearby Forty Mile Creek (presently the Town of Grimsby) and soon became a prominent merchant. Nelles was a Justice of the Peace, member of the legislative assembly and commanding officer of the 4th Lincoln Militia.
Richard Pierpoint (c. 1744-1838) was one of the first black settlers in this region. He was born in Senegal, imprisoned at the age of 16 and shipped to America where he became the slave of a British officer. During the American Revolution he enlisted in the British forces and gained freedom by serving with Butler’s Rangers. At the outbreak of the War of 1812, he joined the Coloured Corps, and in 1821 he petitioned the government for passage to Africa but was denied.
Hannah Brown (1777-1845) was born in Sussex County, NJ. She came to the Niagara region in 1788 with her parents. As a daughter of a United Empire Loyalist, Hannah petitioned for land in 1801 and was granted 200 acres of Crown land in King Township, located near Newmarket. The settlement around Brown’s Bridge grew and so did the need for community services. Because of her many duties, Hannah did not have as much time as she wanted for her family’s home schooling. As a result, she pressed for the construction of the first log schoolhouse, which was built on her family’s land, Lot 260 of Thorold Township. The school also served as the first library in the area.
Sir Edward Wentworth Beatty (1877-1943) was born in Thorold. Beatty attended the University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall. In 1898, he joined the legal department of the Canadian Pacific Railway in Montreal and became the company’s first Canadian born president. He led the CPR in head-to-head competitions with the Canadian National Railway and was responsible for building the Royal York Hotel in Toronto. He was knighted in 1935. During the Second World War, Beatty assisted the Canadian war effort by co-ordinating shipping and rail transport until 1941.