About the Sustainability Blog
The Sustainability Blog is a space for the Brock University community and beyond to discuss sustainability. The Environmental Sustainability Research Centre (ESRC), Brock University, publishes this blog. Researchers, students, NGOs, industry experts, and sustainability-minded individuals are encouraged to submit content to our blog.
Writing for us
Our primary focus for content includes, but isn’t limited to:
- Student experiences
- Showcasing sustainability efforts and experiences at Brock University and by the Brock University community
- Sustainability research, including:
- New research and why the findings matter
- Research partnerships
- Project updates
- Conference reflections
- Personal reflections on researching (in) sustainability
- Insights and reviews on open-access sustainability research
- Case studies and best practices
- Current sustainability-related issues, academic or non-academic
- Original visual content, including videos, photos, photo essays, infographics, etc. Please note that all visual media must be accompanied by a description/write-up
When you’re thinking of writing content for our blog, we recommend that you ask yourself, “What knowledge do I have that can help advance or provide insight in regards to sustainability? What’s unique about what I do?”
You will be fully credited for anything you submit that is published on the Sustainability Blog.
Blog posts must be written for the web, in plain, non-academic language. They must be:
- Properly credited (i.e., links are included for anything that is not your own)
- Not published anywhere else online
- Your own work
- Written in a conversational tone
Here are some great articles on to help you write your blog post: Quick guide – 8 Must-Have Ingredients of a Successful Blog Post [https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/233891]; How to Write a Blog Post – The Ultimate Guide [https://smartblogger.com/how-to-write-a-blog-post/].
Blog Content Submission Format:
All content is subject to a review by our communications staff for approval before posting. Contributors email email@example.com and include the following information:.
- Writer’s name
- Headline: 40 characters (max). Must be enticing, non-technical
- Contact information: Email address, public social media accounts, etc.
- Writer bio: One sentence biography. This will be published with your blog post
- Body: Max 100 (min) – 2000 (max) words
- It’s recommended to break down longer posts with sub-headings
- The content I have submitted to the Sustainability Blog is my property and has not been published elsewhere.
Required for posts over 1000 words:
- Subhead line: 1 to 2 lines, non-technical
- Summary: Max 80 words, non-technical
All content is subject to a review by our communications staff for approval before posting.
We will not post content that:
- is submitted with the primary purpose of selling a product or service
- is obscene, pornographic or sexually explicit
- depicts graphic or gratuitous violence
- harasses, abuses, threatens, intimidates, bullies or in any other way violates the rights of others
- is derogatory, demeaning, malicious, defamatory, abusive, offensive or hateful
- solicits or spams
- is fraudulent, deceptive, misleading or violates any law or regulation
- contains foul language or in any other way is considered inappropriate
Content of posts must comply with the Brock University Online Code of Conduct.
We appreciate your efforts to keep the ESRC community blog environment inviting, insightful and constructive.
We will respond to inquiries about this blog during regular University hours: Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST, excluding all statutory and University holidays.