General safety tips
- Familiarize yourself with the locations of the campus emergency phones.
- Avoid walking alone through isolated areas of the campus. At night, try to stay in well lit areas and travel routes that are frequented by others.
- Make use of the safe-walk escort program when walking to parking lots, campus residences, or classes.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uneasy about a situation or person, remove yourself from that situation.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you suspect you are being followed, indicate your suspicion by looking behind you. Make your way to a place where there are other people and use your cell phone or emergency phone to call Campus Security. Try to obtain a description of the person following you.
- Always walk with an air of confidence when alone or in an isolated area. You will reduce your risk of becoming a target of crime.
- Use a buddy system when going out and agree to watch out for each other.
- Do not abuse drugs or alcohol since your ability to make safe and responsible decisions will be seriously compromised.
- Carry a cellular phone with you and always carry emergency cab fare.
Parking lot safety
- Always try to park in a well lit area.
- Lock your doors and keep your windows rolled up.
- Keep valuables out of sight – place them in the trunk.
- Have your keys ready as you approach your vehicle.
- Check the interior of your vehicle for anything suspicious before getting in.
- Lock your doors after getting into your vehicle.
- Always lock your door when you leave your office, even for a short time.
- Lock your wallet or purse in a desk drawer.
- Only carry the credit cards that you use frequently and leave the rest in a safe place at home.
- Report any suspicious person or activity to Campus Security.
- Lock your doors and windows when not in your room or house. If you share your unit with others, ensure that their guests understand that your room is off limits.
- Keep a record, with serial numbers, of your valuables.
- Ensure laptop and desktop computers are secured using locks and cables available at retail stores or online.
- Do not hide keys outside, leave it with a trusted neighbour.
- Draw your curtains or window shades when not at home.