- About Us
- Departments and Centres
- Department of Biological Sciences
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Centre for Biotechnology
- Centre for Neuroscience
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Science Stores
- Academic Programs
- Contact Us
Department of Earth Sciences
Structural geologist with interests in: deformation mechanisms, microstructures, petrographic image processing applications, Martian geology.
- 2006–external participating Faculty, Brock University, Computer Sciences M.Sc. program
- 2002–2005: Chair, Department of Earth Sciences, Brock University
- 2002–present: Professor of Earth Sciences, Brock University
- 2001–present: Adjunct Associate Professor, University of Toronto
- 1995–2002: Chair, Technical Services, Brock University
- 1995–1999: Adjunct Associate Professor, McMaster University
- 1993–2002: Associate Professor, Department of Earth Sciences, Brock University
- 1989–1993: Assistant Professor, Department of Geological Sciences, Brock University
- Ph.D. University of Toronto, 1990
- M.Sc. McMaster University, 1985
- Invited Scientist, Universite de Nantes ( France) (July 2000)
- Invited Scientist, Universite de Nantes ( France) (July, August 1998)
- ERSC 2P17 Earth Science Methods (Map Portion)
- ERSC 3P01 Structural Geology
- ERSC 4P01 Advanced Structural Geology
- Astro 1F00 Introduction to Astronomy (Planetary Portion)
My interest in microstructure led me to develop the computer controlled rotating polarizer stage for the petrographic microscope. It is primarily designed to allow easier quantification of grain information including size, shape and the c-axis orientation of uniaxial minerals such as quartz or its analogue norcamphor. Several Rotating Polarizer Stage research projects are currently under way:
- Analogue deformation of Norcamphor. Norcamphor is uniaxial negative and the stage is used to track the crystallographic development in real time, during the deformation.
- Deformation of quartz in the Lorrain Formation of the Proterozoic Southern Province of Ontario. Here quartz endured both pressure solution and plastic deformation.
- Artificial Neural Net enhanced edge detection, an effort to use artificial intelligence to do more of the tedious production of numbers so that real intelligence can concentrate on interpretations.
The recent availability of DTM data as well as imagery for Mars allows us to do real 3D structural geology on that planet. Bob Stesky and I used a modified version of his Orion software to study layering within Valles Marineris using MOC and MOLA data. We are currently fortunate enough to be able to use data from the HRSC instrument on Mars Express in a collaborative effort with the HRSC team.
Research student supervision
- Michael Schweinberger (Ph.D. student, U. of Toronto)
- Jenn Marsh (M.Sc. student, Brock University)
Books, memoirs, and special issues
- B Leiss, B., Ullemeyer, K., Weber, K., Bunge, H.-J., Casey, M., Drury, M., Frischbutter, A., Fueten, F., Klein, H., Kuhs, W., Lloyd, G.E., Mainprice, D., Montoto, M., Prior, D.J., Wenk, H.-R., 2000, Actual and future developments and goals in texture research of geological materials. Journal of Structural Geology, 22, 1531–1540. [Introduction to special issue following International Conference on Textures and Physical Properties of Rocks.]
- Fueten, F., R. Stesky, P. MacKinnon, E. Hauber, T. Zegers, K. Gwinner, F. Scholten, and G. Neukum (2008), Stratigraphy and structure of interior layered deposits in west Candor Chasma, Mars, from High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) stereo imagery and derived elevations, J. Geophys. Res., 113, E10008, doi:10.1029/2007JE003053.
- Lagoeiro, L. and Fueten, F., 2008. Fluid-assisted grain boundary sliding in bedding-parallel quartz veins deformed under greenschist metamophic grade. Tectonophysics 446 (2008) 42–50, doi:10.1016/j.tecto.2007.10.004.
- Fueten, F. and Mason, J., 2007. An artificial neural net assisted approach to editing edges in petrographic images collected with the rotating polarizer stage. Computers & Geosciences, 33, 1176–1188. doi:10.1016/j.cageo.2006.12.007.
- Fueten F., Stesky, R., MacKinnon, P., Hauber, E., Gwinner, K., Scholten, F., Zegers, T., and Neukum, G., 2006. A structural study of an interior layered deposit in southwestern Candor Chasma, Valles Marineris, Mars, using high resolution stereo camera data from Mars Express. Geophysical Research Letters, 33 (7): Art. No. L07202, April 2006.
- Fueten, F. , Stesky, R.M. and MacKinnon, P., 2005. Structural attitudes of large scale layering in Valles Marineris, Mars, calculated from Mars Orbiter laser altimeter data and Mars Orbiter camera imagery. Icarus, 175, 68–77.
- Ross, B., Gualtieri, A.G., Fueten, F., and Budkewitsch, P., 2005. Hyperspectral image analysis using genetic programming. Applied Soft Computing, 5, 147–156.
- Fueten, F. , Robin, P.-Y.F., Schweinberger, M., 2002. Finite element modelling of the evolution of pressure solution cleavage. Journal of Structural Geology , 24, 1055–1064.
- Ross, B.J., Fueten, F. and Yashkir, D., 2001. Automatic mineral identification using genetic programming. Journal of Machine Vision and Applications , 13, 61–69.
- Fueten, F., Hynes, K., VanLuttikhuisen, R.L., 2001. An experimental setup for the analysis of analogue deformation experiments using the rotating polarizer stage. Journal of Structural Geology , 24, 241–245.
- Thompson, S., Fueten, F., Bockus, D., 2001. Mineral identification using artifical neural networks and the rotating polarizer stage, Computers in Geosciences , 27, 1081–1089.
- Fueten, F. and Goodchild, J.S., 2001. Quartz c-axes orientation determination using the rotating polarizer microscope Journal of Structural Geology , 23, 896–902.
- Goodchild, J.S. and Fueten, F., 1998. Edge detection in petrographic images using the rotating polarizer stage. Computers and Geosciences , 24, 745–751.
- Fueten, F. , 1997. A computer controlled rotating polarizer stage for the petrographic microscope. Computers and Geosciences , 23, 203–208.
- MacKinnon, P., Fueten, F. and Robin, P-Y., 1997. A fracture model for quartz ribbons in straight gneisses. Journal of Structural Geology , 19, 1–14.
- Fueten, F. and Redmond, 1997. Documentation of a 1450 Ma contractional orogeny preserved between the 1850 Ma Sudbury impact structure and the 1 Ga Grenville orogenic front, Ontario, Canada. Geological Society of America Bulletin , 109, 268–279.
- Fueten, F . and Robin, P.Y.-F. 1992. Finite element modelling of the propagation of a pressure solution cleavage seam. Journal of Structural Geology , 14, 953–962.
Recent talks and published conference abstracts
- Fueten, F., Stesky, R., MacKinnon, P.,Zegers T., Hauber E., Foing B., Pischel R., Gwinner K., Scholten F., Neukum G. and the HRSC Co-Investigator Team, 2005. Attitude determination of geological layers using HRSC data and Orion software. Lunar and Planetary Science XXXVI (2005) [Abstract # 1498.pdf]
- Hauber E., Gwinner K., Stesky R., Fueten F., Michael G., Reiss D., Zegers T., Hoffmann H., Jaumann R., van Gasselt S., Neukum G. and the HRSC Co-Investigator Team, 2005.Interior layered deposits in Valles Marineris, Mars: Insights from 3D-Data obtained by the High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC). Lunar and Planetary Science XXXVI (2005) [Abstract # 1760.pdf]
- Fueten F. , Stesky R., MacKinnon P., Zegers T., Hauber E., Foing B.,. Pischel R,. Gwinner K, Scholten F., Neukum G. and the HRSC Co-Investigator Team, 2005. Attitude determination of geological layers using HRSC data and Orion software. 1st Mars Express Science Conference. 21–25 February 2005, European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC), Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
- Hauber, E., K. Gwinner, R. Stesky, F. Fueten, G. Michael, D. Reiss, H. Hoffmann , R. Jaumann, G. Neukum, T. Zegers, and the HRSC Co-Investigator Team, 2004. Interior layered deposits in Valles Marineris, Mars: Insights from 3d-Data obtained by the High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) on Mars Express. 2004 AGU Fall Meeting, 13–17 December 2004, San Francisco, California. Abstract V33C-1471.
- MacKinnon, P., Fueten, F., and Stesky, R.M., 2004. Determination of structural attitudes of large scale layering in Valles Marineris, Mars, using Mars Orbiter laser altimeter data and Mars Orbiter camera imagery . Geological Association of Canada Annual Meeting 2004. St. Catharines, On. [Abstract # SS23-02]
- MacKinnon P., Fueten F., Stesky R.M., 2004. S tructural attitudes of large scale layering in Valles Marineris, Mars, calculated from Mars Orbiter laser altimeter data and Mars Orbiter camera imagery. Lunar and Planetary Science Conference XXXV (2004) [Abstract #1127]
- Fueten, F. , Stesky, R.M., Marsh, J., 2003. Structural attitudes of large scale layering in Valles Marineris, Mars, from analysis of imagery and altimetry data. Geological Association of Canada Annual Meeting 2003, Vancouver, B.C.
Funding & Activities
- Graduate Program Director
- 1990–present, NSERC
- 2003/4, Canadian Centre for Remote Sensing Contract
Conferences, symposia and workshopss
- Chair, Local Organizing Committee, 2004 GAC/MAC Annual Meeting, St. Catharines Ontario.
- Co-organizer Canadian Tectonics Group Annual Meeting, 1993.