- About Us
- Departments and Centres
- Department of Biological Sciences
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Centre for Biotechnology
- Centre for Neuroscience
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Mathematics & Statistics
- Department of Physics
- Science Stores
- Academic Programs
- Contact Us
Why Study Biological Sciences?
Department of Biological Sciences
Why Study Biological Sciences?
The term biology refers to the study of all living things. Biological sciences, or life sciences, encompasses a broad range of subjects, from molecular biology to ecology, biochemistry, biophysics, genetics and physiology. Biology has also assisted in the development of techniques in emerging fields such as biotechnology, biomedical sciences, and neuroscience. The Biological Sciences program at Brock is designed to provide you with a broad base in modern biological thought, and prepare you for further studies or careers in the biological sciences and related fields.
What are my study options?
- Three-year Bachelor of Science (BSc)
- Four-year Bachelor of Science (BSc)
- Four-year Bachelor of Science Honours (BSc, Hons) - 4th year involves an intensive research & thesis project
- Four-year Concurrent BSc Integrated Studies (Pass)/Bachelor of Education (BEd)
- Combined Majors (BSc)
- Minor in Biological Sciences
- Master of Science (MSc) in Biological Sciences
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Biological Sciences
Why study Biological Sciences at Brock?
- Our program offers a strong core of courses that provide an overview of important concepts and problems in modern biology.
- Biological Sciences is the most general and fundamental of the life sciences, and will provide you with maximum flexibility for career planning.
- Flexibility allows you to select elective courses to reflect your individual interests and skills.
- Labs are an integral component of your studies, and will allow you to gain hands-on experience in modern, well-equipped facilities.
- The faculty in the Department of Biological Sciences have demonstrated strengths in many key areas including: Cell and Molecular biology, Animal Physiology and Neurobiology, Plant Sciences, and Ecology and Evolution. This offers you a great selection of possible research areas in year four, and excellent opportunities for gaining skills and in-depth knowledge in a variety of areas.
- Faculty within the Biological Sciences program have been highly successful in securing external research funding. In 2003/2004 funding reached $7 million dollars.
- Brock faculty are recognized on a provincial, national and international level. Within the department there are two Canada Research Chairs, three winners of the Premier’s Research Excellence Award, one Chancellor’s Chair and the recipient of a special award from the National Research Council for innovation in molecular biology.
- Research in year four of an Honours degree will provide you with the opportunity to conduct your own original research under the supervision of our award winning faculty.
|Agronomist||Environmental Analyst||Medical Record Technician||Plant Geneticist|
|Biochemist||Fisheries Biologist||Medical Social Worker||Professor|
|Biologist||Flavour Chemist||Medical Technician||Public Health Asst.|
|Biophysicist||Food & Drug Inspector||Microbiologist||Quality Control|
|Biotechnologist||Genetic Counsellor||Natural Resources Manager||School Teacher|
|Crop Physiologist||Hospital Administrator||Park Ranger||Scientific Reporter|
|Cytotechnologist||Industrial Hygienist||Patent Specialist||Technical Writer|
|Development Asst.||Lawyer||Pest Control Inspector||Veterinarian|
|Ecologist||Lobbyist||Pharmaceutical Sales||Wildlife Biologist|
|Education Specialist||Marine Biologist||Pharmacologist||Zoo Assistant|
|Embryologist||Medical Equipment Sales||Physician||Zoologist|
|Entomologist||Medical Illustrator||Physician Assistant|
While most biology graduates work in a related occupation and eventually obtain an advanced degree, others choose another direction. Many careers do not require a specific major but rather a wide range of demonstrated skills and accomplishments. Regardless of your career choices, increase your marketability to employers through research assistantships, volunteer work in research labs, responsible work experience, good grades, and involvement in university activities .
Mr. Ashkan Entezari Heravi defends Computer Science thesis
September 9, 2015 - 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Ms. Edge defends Biotechnology Thesis
August 31, 2015 - 1:00am - 4:00am
PhD in Biological Sciences Thesis Defence – Holly May - August 18, 2015
August 18, 2015 - 1:00pm - 4:00pm