In following the spirit of sustainability science, the approach is both interdisciplinary and integrative. ESRC is oriented towards pressing environmental challenges. While these may change over time, attention is initially directed in the following key thematic areas:
- Water resources innovation and resilience
- Meanings and measurement of sustainability
- Climate change, adaptation and transformation
- Science and public policy
- Social justice, development, and health
These themes resonate at a variety of scales and in diverse geographical locations – from the Niagara Region to the international context. By bringing expertise from Brock University and beyond around these key thematic areas, ESRC will generate novel insights through integration of various disciplines, mobilize knowledge and build capacity.