What if I need to stay longer?
Any student wishing to be considered for an exception to the conditions outlined in the Residence Agreement must submit an extended stay request explaining his/her circumstances by the deadlines listed below:
- Fall term: By 11:59 p.m. on Nov. 30.
- Winter term: by 11:59 p.m. on March 31.
A request for an extended stay is available online at my.brocku.ca starting Nov. 1 and March 1. Please go into your residence application to apply for an extension. Documentation is required to support requests for extended stays beyond noon on the day after a student’s last exam, and a per diem charge for each night beyond the original departure date will be assessed.
Who is allowed to stay?
A student may be granted permission for an extended stay beyond noon on the day following his/her last exam only under extraordinary circumstances. Some examples of requests that may be considered are below. Please note that conditions may apply.
- Academic requirements that are not listed in the exam timetable, such as take-home exams. Such a request must be accompanied by official documentation from your professor confirming that you have an academic commitment that requires you to stay beyond your scheduled time in residence.
- International travel. Please submit proof of travel. Please note that extensions may not be given for multiple days regardless of flight schedules, so make your travel plans accordingly.
- Students here for the summer may be granted extensions if they are transitioning to Summer accommodation in residence only.
Who would not be allowed to stay?
Here are some examples of requests we are unable to accommodate:
- The person I am getting a ride with isn’t finished their exams until the last day;
- The person picking me up can’t get that day off work;
- I’m scheduled to work at my job until April 30;
- I don’t get my house off-campus until May 1.
Please note that a student’s prior behaviour in residence will also be considered when evaluating extended stay requests.
Can I stay as a guest?
During exams, only Brock students are permitted as guests and only for the purposes of studying up until 11 p.m. After 11 p.m. only Brock residence students will be permitted as guests. Overnight guests are not permitted during exams. During the exam period, guests are considered to be anyone who is not a current residence student. A student is considered a non-resident once he/she has been required to vacate his/her room, and therefore, is not permitted to stay overnight as a guest.
How to submit a request for an extended stay
Please follow these steps:
- Go to my.brocku.ca (Set your browser to enable popups/cookies)
- Login using your Brock username and password
- Click the Applicant and Student Self Serve tab
- Click Apply for Residence at the bottom right of the page
- On the Hub Page please select the current academic year (eg Academic Year 2017-2018) to open up the options for this years residents.
- Select Request an Extended Stay
- Follow the prompts and upload any supporting documentation that you have (requests will not be processed without supporting documentation)
Students must login using their campus ID, which is the six-digit letter and number combination (e.g. ab14cd)
You are on the wrong tab. At the top of the page, click on the “Applicant and Student Self Serve” tab to see the icon for the residence application.
Usually the residence channel is on the right side. It has a blue bar with Residence in white at the top and the “Apply to Residence” icon below. If you can’t see it on the right side, scroll down or check on the left side of the page. It’s possible the icon has been minimized so you will only see the blue bar with Residence and no picture. Click on the white arrow in the blue bar to open up the channel and see the icon. If you still can’t see the channel, go to the top right side of the page and click Add More on the menu bar. You will see any inactive channels that can be added to the page.
Pop-ups have not been enabled on your browser. Please go into your settings to enable pop-ups.
If you go back into the residence portal, you can click on the button Review Requests. If your request is there then we do have it. We contact you regarding your request after the deadline to submit requests, if not sooner.