Directly across the road from the main campus, the Quarry View Residence opened in the Fall of 2003. Quarry View is made up of 80 stacked townhouse units. There are 290 furnished rooms in a mixture of three- and four-bedroom units. There are 250 single rooms and 40 double rooms in Quarry View. Each unit has one four-piece washroom, one two-piece washroom, a communal living/dining area and kitchen equipped with a refrigerator, microwave and stove. The units are large and spacious and we provide all the basic furnishings for the unit. Meal plans are mandatory.
Quarry View Blocks and Mascotts
Quarry View blocks and mascots
John Butler (1728-1796) was one of the founding fathers of Upper Canada. In 1777, Butler raised a force of Rangers who, with their Iroquois allies, raided the frontiers of New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey throughout the American Revolutionary War. From their base at Fort Niagara they successfully maintained British military power on the frontiers and seriously threatened rebel food supplies. A majority of the men who had served in the Rangers settled the Niagara Peninsula. Their presence in Niagara established the Loyalist tradition, which helped defend the province during the War of 1812. At the end of the Revolution, Butler became the leader of the settlement of the Niagara Peninsula. He served as the deputy superintendent of the Indian Department at Niagara, a Justice of the Peace, a member of the Land Board of Niagara, lieutenant of the County of Lincoln, commanding officer of the Nassau and Lincoln militias, leader in the Church of England in the community, and a prominent member of the Masonic Order.
John McFarland was described as “His Majesty’s boat builder.” He and his sons built what’s known today McFarland House (1800) on the Niagara Parkway. It was the home to McFarland and his descendants for 150 years, and built with bricks made in a kiln on the property. During the War of 1812, McFarland House was used as a hospital by both the British and the Americans, and a British gun emplacement, located on the property, protected the river. John McFarland was taken prisoner during the war and sent to Greenbush, NY. When he returned after the war, he found his house badly damaged, with windows, doors and mantels missing. Written on his tombstone in St. Mark’s Church, Niagara-on-the-Lake is a list of these woes, which are said to have contributed to his death in 1816.
George Herbert Locke (1870-1937) was born in Beamsville and educated at Victoria College and the University of Toronto. Locke taught at Toronto, Chicago and Harvard Universities and was Dean of Education at Chicago and at MacDonald College. He then became chief librarian of the Toronto Public Libraries. In this position he transformed a small institution into one of the most respected library systems on the continent.
Five Muir brothers built and repaired ships on the harbour from 1850 until 1946. Alexander, William, Bryce, David and Archibald all became ship captains of the A-Fleet. The Muirs were prominent in Port Dalhousie for more than a century and saw the community grow from 12 houses. The first three Welland canals had their northern entrance here, which resulted in an industrious dry dock. The Muir Bros. Dry Docks was the longest continuous business in Port Dalhousie.
Sir Casimir S. Gzowski (1813-1898) came to Canada from Russia in 1841. He was the first chairman of the Niagara Parks Commission (1885-93). As an engineer, he also served as a government construction superintendent. He was instrumental in building the Grand Trunk Railway from Toronto to Sarnia (1853-7) and the International Bridge across the Niagara River at Fort Erie in 1873. He was a founder of the Canadian Society of Civil Engineers in 1887. He was appointed honorary aide-de-camp to the Queen in 1879 and knighted in 1890. He also served as Administrator of Ontario 1896-97.
Named for Isabel Hampton Robb (1859-1910). The Hampton family came to Welland and bought a house on East Main Street where Isabel was born in 1859. Isabel was recognized as the most versatile and influential figure in North American nursing at the turn of the century. Before becoming a woman of international renown, she was an elementary school teacher in Humberstone and Merritton. She eventually changed careers and became a nurse. She became North America’s Florence Nightingale, initiating many improvements in nursing education and writing textbooks that became standards in North America and abroad.