DeCew Residence, which accommodates 414 students, is a low-rise, red-brick building composed of 10 linked houses. Spring 2021 will mark the completion of an extensive renewal project that included significant renovations to all bedrooms, washrooms, lounge areas and community spaces. Most rooms are arranged with adjoining lounges for six, with two double rooms and two single rooms. Each floor has lounges and washrooms. There are separate male and female washrooms. The house system gives a special character and warmth to DeCew life. The sense of family that develops among the members of each house is an important part of residence spirit. A meal plan is mandatory.
Every floor in DeCew Residence has four double rooms and four single rooms sharing two bathrooms and two lounges. The main level units, affectionately know as the basements, have one single room and one double room sharing a washroom and a lounge. DeCew Residence is completely wireless for Internet access and every lounge has a TV with cable as well as a phone for on-campus and local calls.
DeCew is also home to the DeCew Dining Hall, CJ’s Lounge, the North Service Desk, Allanburg Lounge, Merritt Lounge, Community Meeting Place and several university offices.
Named for George Keefer (1787-1858), pioneer settler and principal founder of Thorold. He was an ensign, lieutenant and captain in the Second Regiment, Lincoln Militia, taking part in the battles of Lundy’s Lane and Chippawa. He, along with a younger brother, walked from New Jersey to Upper Canada in 1790. As an original shareholder and first president of the Welland Canal Company, he turned the first sod to start work at Allanburg on Nov. 30, 1824. For the rest of his long life, he was actively engaged in the commercial life of the community, both as miller and merchant. He was married twice. Of his 15 children, two sons achieved high distinction as civil engineers and another son became the first Canadian to sit in a state legislature in Australia.
Named for James Fitzgibbon, lieutenant (later captain) 49th Regiment and colonel in the Canadian Militia. A victor at the Battle of the Beaver Dams, June 24, 1814, and in 1837 he commanded the militia at Toronto during disturbances in December following William Lyon Mackenzie’s advance on the city from Montgomery’s Tavern. In 1838, he wrote a celebrated note to Lord Durham when the governor-general announced his plans to return to England: “My Lord, Do not abandon us. It will be, I humbly think, more noble to stand by us until you shall have accomplished your labours, than to return and punish the unworthy men who assail you.” This was signed An Old Soldier.
In the course of a long public career, Cruickshank edited many of the War of 1812 military records, as well as many of John Graves Simcoe’s papers. He was director of the Historical Section of the General Staff (Army) in Ottawa and subsequently served a term as chairman of the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. A fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, he was awarded the Tyrrell Medal in 1835 for distinguished service to Canadian History.
Named for Peter Hunter (1746-1805), lieutenant-governor of Upper Canada, 1799-1805 and previously lieutenant-colonel commanding the Western District (1788-89). The Western District was a territory extending from Oswego to Michilimakinac with headquarters at Fort Niagara (at that time still in British hands). During two seasons of meagre harvests and bitter weather, he advanced military supplies to pioneer farmers of the Niagara region. On succeeding Simcoe as lieutenant-governor, Hunter resided in various locations in the province, maintaining frequent contact with the Niagara region because of uncertainties along the border.
Named for Herbert Holmes (-1837), who was killed in a disturbance near the old jail in Niagara-on-the-Lake in September 1837. As a local preacher, Homes was determined to resist an attempt to return to the United States a slave named Solomon Moseby, accused of horse stealing. Holmes was killed instantly by armed constables after having stopped a prison wagon carrying Moseby. Moseby escaped, making his way to England. Holmes’s death was the culmination of long-standing anxieties and grievances: no authoritative statement was ever made whether Moseby was to be tried for horse stealing or whether (as was widely rumoured) he was being returned to slavery. Something of the same suspicion and distrust must have surrounded the outbreak of rebellion north of Toronto three months later.
Named for Louis Shickluna (1808-1880), native of Malta and pioneer shipbuilder on Twelve Mile Creek. Between 1836 and 1871 he launched 120 steamers and ships of various kinds, including The Pride of Canada in 1852. This was the first vessel from a St. Catharines yard designed for ocean navigation. It sailed directly for England. As late as 1864, the shipyard employed more than 300 men. An address, presented by the citizens of St. Catharines on May 16, 1871, spoke of Shickluna as “having attained to the first place among the marine architects of the Dominion” and congratulated him upon “the well merited success, which has followed your diligent efforts…in contributing to the material advancement of our Town.”
Named for Elizabeth Posthuma Simcoe (1770-1850), wife of the first lieutenant-governor of Upper Canada. Left an orphan before her first birthday, she was brought up by relatives. At 16, she married Col. John Graves Simcoe. She accompanied him to Canada in 1792, moving from Quebec to Kingston to Newark (now Niagara-on-the-Lake). She was with her husband at the opening of the first meeting of the Legislative Assembly on Sept. 18. During the next two years she and her young children travelled throughout the Niagara region. She travelled frequently by canoe, camping at the edge of the forest under canvas. Her diary of these journeys is a fascinating document. When the seat of government was moved to York, the family lived in a house, built by Simcoe, called Castle Frank. Returning to England, the family lived at Wolford Lodge, near Honiton, Devon, which Mrs. Simcoe acquired in 1784. After her husband’s death in 1806, she lived 44 years as a widow. Of her nine children, one died in infancy at York; the elder son was killed in the Siege of Badajoz in 1812; several of the daughters were buried near the graves of their parents at Wolford Chapel, built by the family in 1800.
Named for Lt.-Col. John Macdonnell, aide-de-camp to Maj.-Gen. Sir Isaac Brock. Macdonnell, the attorney general of Upper Canada in 1812, was the senior Canadian officer engaged with the regular units of the British forces (the 49th Foot and the 41st Foot) and was one of two aide-de-camps to Brock. When Brock was roused by the sound of gunfire and rode from Fort George to Queenston, he outdistanced his own staff. When he was struck down, Macdonnell was leading a second attack up the slope, hoping to dislodge the U.S. forces higher up. His horse was killed under him, and he died of his own wounds the next day. His body was buried, along with Brock’s remains, in a bastion of Fort George. On Oct. 13, 1824, their remains were transferred to the base of the first Brock Monument. When this monument was damaged by an explosion on April 13, 1840, the remains were removed to the private burial ground of the Hamilton family in Queenston. In 1853, when the present Brock Monument was completed, the remains were returned to the base where they have since remained.
Visible for several miles from its site beside the main road from Ypres to Bruges, the impressive Canadian Memorial at St. Julien stands like a sentinel over those who died during the heroic stand of Canadians during the first gas attacks of the First World War. It is one of the most striking of all the battlefield memorials on the Western Front. Rising almost 11 metres from a stone-flagged court, the Brooding Soldier surmounts a single shaft of granite — the bowed head and shoulders of a Canadian soldier with folded hands resting on arms reversed. The expression on the face beneath the steel helmet is resolute yet sympathetic, as though its owner meditates on the battle in which his comrades displayed such great valour. The statue is set in the middle of a garden surrounded by tall cedars, which are kept trimmed to complement the towering granite shaft. The St. Julien Memorial was unveiled on July 8, 1923, by HRH the Duke of Connaught. Among the many veterans present was former commander-in-chief of the Allied Armies, Marshal Ferdinand Foch. Speaking in tribute to those whom the Memorial honoured, Foch said: “The Canadians paid heavily for their sacrifice and the corner of earth on which this memorial of gratitude and piety rises has been bathed in their blood. They wrote here the first page in that Book of Glory which is the history of their participation in the war.” The inscription on the memorial recalls the Canadian participation in the second Battle of Ypres: THIS COLUMN MARKS THE BATTLEFIELD WHERE 18,000 CANADIANS ON THE BRITISH LEFT WITHSTOOD THE FIRST GERMAN GAS ATTACKS THE 22ND-24TH OF APRIL 1915. 2,000 FELL AND HERE LIE BURIED.
Named for John Brant (1795-1832), son of Joseph Brant, celebrated Chief of the Mohawks of the Grand River Reservation. The younger Brant fought in all the major engagements of the War of 1812 along the Niagara Frontier, including Fort George, Stoney Creek, Beaver Dams, Chippawa, Lundy’s Lane and in the defence of Fort Erie under siege. At Beaver Dams on June 24, 1814, he led the Indian forces which, in conjunction with some 46 rank and file of the 49th Regiment under Lt. James Fitzgibbon, compelled the surrender of a larger U.S. force. In 1832, John Brant was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada for the County of Haldimand (part of which lay within the limits of the Grand River Crown Grant). His majority included votes of electors who held property under leases granted by his father. The courts had decided that the Indian voters did not enjoy title in fee simple; and when Brant’s opponent, Col. Warren, contested the election, Brant was unseated. A contemporary commented that Brant “was worthy both by natural gifts and education of the honour the people had paid him.” He died later that year in the wake of a cholera epidemic in the Lakes region.