Several units across Brock University are hosting virtual games and contests for students during the holiday season.
The Student Health and Wellness HUB is serving up entertainment with virtual games and prizes, beginning Monday, Dec. 21.
“With the transition to online learning, the Wellness HUB has become more than a peer-to-peer support space and is working towards connecting students through events and games as physical interaction isn’t possible right now,” said Health Promotion Educator Julie Fennell. “It is our aim to actively support and improve the mental health and well-being of the Brock student community.”
Students looking to wind down after exams are invited to join their peers across four evenings on Zoom to play virtual games, such as the Jackbox Party Pack franchise and the popular multiplayer social deduction game, Among Us, to name a few.
Follow this link to take part in the first set of sessions on Monday, Dec. 21 and Tuesday, Dec. 22. Each session will run from 7 to 9 p.m.
The Passcode is 467408.
The second set of sessions will take place on Monday, Dec. 28 and Tuesday, Dec. 29 from 7 to 9 p.m.
Each night, Brock’s Student Wellness and Accessibility Centre (SWAC) will be giving away prizes such as Amazon Gift Cards. Follow @BrockSWAC on Instagram for more details and resources during the holidays.
SWAC also offers Personal Counselling Services. Although personal counselling will be closed from Thursday, Dec. 24 to Wednesday, Jan. 6, students can continue to access 24/7 telephone counselling by calling 1-833-276-2533 (1-833-BROCK33) or if outside North America 001-416-382-3257 (international fees may apply); or by downloading the “My SSP” App for on-the-go counselling through the App Store or Google Play.
Brock International is offering an array of activities and prizes for students.
Visit Brock International’s ExperienceBU page to register for various games across different platforms, including Instagram, Crowdlive and Netflix Party.
The following is a list of upcoming events, dates and platforms:
- Guess that tune (Instagram — Monday, Dec. 21, 8 p.m.),
- Trivia night (Crowdlive — Tuesday, Dec. 22, noon),
- Netflix movie (Netflix Party — Thursday, Dec. 24, 9 p.m.),
- Jeopardy (MS Teams — Monday, Dec. 28, noon)
- Netflix movie (Netflix Party — Wednesday, Dec. 30, 8 a.m.), and
- Brock International also has a checklist challenge to give students an opportunity to win a variety of $25 gift cards.
Students can submit their entries for the checklist to Intlstudents@brocku.ca
The list includes:
- Send a picture of your holiday decorations. (e.g., Christmas tree, decoration of your house/apartment).
- Send a picture of you in your ugly Christmas sweater.
- Send a picture of a snowman you made.
- Send a picture of yourself enjoying the Canadian winter.
- Send a picture of a book you’re reading over the holiday break.
- Send a picture of a video game you’ll be playing over the holiday break.
- One of:
- Send a picture celebrating a safe, physically distanced New Year’s Eve.
- Send a picture of what’s on your plate during the holidays
- Complete the academic integrity quiz (on Sakai)
For students looking to get moving, Brock University Recreation is offering ExpressFit On Demand with fitness classes available through a phone, tablet or computer.
Participants can choose from a variety of workout styles, such as yoga, full-body HIIT, core, kickboxing or Zumba, and follow along with Brock’s expert instructors as they guide and motivate them towards improved fitness, one workout at a time.