Interruption of Normal Operations for Residence
During the academic year, residence operates 24/7 and therefore does not close. There are student staff (Residence Life Staff) who live in residence and are available to monitor residence life 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
[Note: see separate policy by Conference Services for procedures during summer conference season (May-August)]
Full-time Department of Residences staff:
- Should the University close, full-time staff would not be expected to stay at work
- Should classes be cancelled, but the University remains open, it would be expected that full-time staff attend for work
- Director or designate will communicate with full-time staff. Senior Managers will communicate with their areas: Manager, Residence Life will communicate with Residence Life Coordinators, who will then will communicate with Head Residents, as needed; Manager, Residence Facilities and Finance will communicate with Facilities Supervisors, Facilities Assistants and Service Desk staff, as needed. And finally the Manager, Residence Admissions will communicate with office staff.
- One or both service desks may be staffed with part-time student staff (on pay sheets)
- Service desk staff (or Residence Life Staff) can post information regarding closures and any other pertinent information
- Residence Life Staff: each “separate” residence life staff is responsible for separate residence complexes. Minimum numbers (50% of staff complement) would be expected to be present in residence.
- Residence food service facilities would continue to operate during University closure and/or cancelled classes. Hours of operation, menu choices, etc might be modified (See separate food services policy/protocol by University Food Services, Sodexo for inclement weather)
Custodial and Facilities Management:
- Assume Facilities Management would continue to provide base services (Eg: heat, water, electricity; snow removal*)
- Cleaning and removal of garbage/recyclables would be monitored should custodial staff not be available
Click here for the Universitys' policy on Interruption of Normal Operations.